Trusted Contributor

As someone else mentioned, my in-laws did give most of their estate away to their children as they approached their late 80's and both were sick, in and out of the hospital.  So, I agree that some folks decide to divide up their estate as they get older and sicker.  

Esteemed Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

As someone else mentioned, my in-laws did give most of their estate away to their children as they approached their late 80's and both were sick, in and out of the hospital.  So, I agree that some folks decide to divide up their estate as they get older and sicker.  

@123SuzyQ123 perhaps Wynnona doesn't feel she's been given her just due....No matter what mother may have given.  She's going to contest.  To me, that sounds like someone who is not satisfied with what mother gave (assuming she did).  We don't know that she did.  That's speculation.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

As I understand it, a spouse cannot be disinherited, but it doesn't mean that the spouse will inherit everything, unless no one else is mentioned in the Will or Trust.

@mousiegirl   A spouse can be disinherited but state laws vary on that issue.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

As I understand it, a spouse cannot be disinherited, but it doesn't mean that the spouse will inherit everything, unless no one else is mentioned in the Will or Trust.

@mousiegirl   A spouse can be disinherited but state laws vary on that issue.

@Cakers3   Okay, speaking for California. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Keep in mind pre-marital agreements.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Every state has its owns laws on what you can and can't include in your prenup agreement, so before you sign, make sure you check with an experienced attorney in your state to verify that your contract is valid.

That's because Community Property States laws are different from others.  Pre-nuptials are only as good as the State they were entered into in.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset, I agree.  I didn't speculate anything in my post, I only mentioned about what my in-laws did.