Trusted Contributor

I was a fan of the Judds since they first appeared on TV in the early 80s. The 2 of them had such beautiful voices and I still love their music. I've just been listening to a podcast on the site, "Cocaine and Rhinestones", which features backstories and biographies of country music legends. Episode 12, "Winona", tells the story of how the Judds rose to fame. It's not pretty. Let's just say Naomi's public persona was nothing like who she really was. The girls had a very turbulent and chaotic childhood and Naomi was not exactly the mother of the year. I now understand why Ashley Judd has the issues she has and I really admire Winona for being able to overcome a lot of the craziness in her early life. I would recommend this podcast to everyone who is a fan of the Judds and also other episodes in this series for all country music fans. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

btw:  One of my nieces committed suicide, having suffered being bipolar for many years.

People need to remember when somebody has never experienced suicide with a loved one, that person may not say the "right" thing or may post something that appears cruel and insensitive.

We do not know most of us offline;  we only know what we read here and often we read through slanted lenses based on like or dislike of a poster.

This newest suicide with Naomi, I am sure, has stirred up some memories and pain for certain individuals.

I have conducted grief counseling in my career; I "get" it.

@Cakers3   DH's friend's teenage son committed suicide due to schizophrenia, could not not see a way out of it, so sad.

Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know what network and time the hall of fame induction ceremony is? My Mother wants to see it and I can't find out the info.

Trusted Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

I was a fan of the Judds since they first appeared on TV in the early 80s. The 2 of them had such beautiful voices and I still love their music. I've just been listening to a podcast on the site, "Cocaine and Rhinestones", which features backstories and biographies of country music legends. Episode 12, "Winona", tells the story of how the Judds rose to fame. It's not pretty. Let's just say Naomi's public persona was nothing like who she really was. The girls had a very turbulent and chaotic childhood and Naomi was not exactly the mother of the year. I now understand why Ashley Judd has the issues she has and I really admire Winona for being able to overcome a lot of the craziness in her early life. I would recommend this podcast to everyone who is a fan of the Judds and also other episodes in this series for all country music fans. 

Naomi has admitted their childhoods were unstable, but I'd take Ashley's recollections with a grain of salt.

Or the entire shaker....

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Buffalogal47   Thank you for posting this.  I just went to the Cocaine and Rhinestones website and read the transcript of this podcast.  I didn't know any of this.  What I thought I knew was completely different.  It was very interesting.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

We all of course have our individual journeys . The stories are dependent on the one telling them.

I watched a you tube produced by OWN (Oprah's)titled a Judd  docuseries (?) part 1 . In it Naomi mentioned and showed a photo of a man (face blurred out ) that molested her . Child molest victims have that with them thier whole lives . It is an egregious sin and crime that the victim suffers from .

I have always been a fan of the singers. I think Wynona's voice is so rich and her Mother's complimented it .Ashley is a very talented actress.

What I have read of Naomi's parenting , it sounds as though she followed the very important rule for it = she was there. Some children are not that fortunate.

Trusted Contributor

@BoopOMatic : Ashley Judd was raped when she was 7 or 8 years old. She told adults but no one believed her. Naomi left her alone for days while she and Winona went off with country music star Merle Haggard. Ashley was 10 years old. There's a lot more but better you should read it for yourself. If you do, maybe you'll understand why Ashley is the way she is. Tyler Mahan Cole is the host of these podcasts and he did not just take Ashley's or Winona's word for anything: he did extensive research and gives all of his sources, as he does with all the episodes. It was very painful for me to listen to this because I am a fan of the Judds. But we have to remember that the public persona of these entertainers is very different than who they really are.

Honored Contributor

A tragic end for someone who had accomplished so much. In reading this thread, I learned that her depression could be linked to her relationship with her mother. Apparently, that cycle continued with her relationship with her daughters. How I wish children could have stability in their lives during those formative years.

Respected Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

some of the bit and pieces, i read, it sounds like her mental illness started with her treatments, for the hep C. Did her book say that or anyone else think that?

No, her body and soul were defiled and contributed to the beginning of a mental illnes. She didn't even have a safe childhood. The beginning of her pain and suffering, both mentally and physically, was when she was a very young child. Her uncle sexually abused her when she was only three years old. To make it even worse, she is in an old family photo. It is heartbreaking. She was made to stand closely to him. You can see how confused, afraid and uncomfortable she was.

Respected Contributor

Oh my- 3 years old? How awful and tragic- Her trauma and deep troubles were truly hidden from the world... RIP talented lady...