Respected Contributor

River of Time: My Descent into Depression and How I Emerged with Hope

Naomi Judd's life as a country music superstar has been nonstop success. But offstage, she has battled incredible adversity. Struggling through a childhood of harsh family secrets, the death of a young sibling, and absent emotional support, Naomi found herself reluctantly married and an expectant mother at age seventeen. Four years later, she was a single mom of two, who survived being beaten and raped, and was abandoned without any financial support and nowhere to turn in Hollywood, CA.

Naomi has always been a survivor: She put herself through nursing school to support her young daughters, then took a courageous chance by moving to Nashville to pursue their fantastic dream of careers in country music. Her leap of faith paid off, and Naomi and her daughter Wynonna became The Judds, soon ranking with country music's biggest stars, selling more than 20 million records and winning six Grammys.

At the height of the singing duo's popularity, Naomi was given three years to live after being diagnosed with the previously incurable Hepatitis C. Miraculously, she overcame that too and was pronounced completely cured five years later.

But Naomi was still to face her most desperate fight yet. After finishing a tour with Wynonna in 2011, she began a three-year battle with Severe Treatment Resistant Depression and anxiety. She suffered through frustrating and dangerous roller-coaster effects with antidepressants and other drugs, often terrifying therapies and, at her absolute lowest points, thoughts of suicide. But Naomi persevered once again.

RIVER OF TIME is her poignant message of hope to anyone whose life has been scarred by trauma.

Trusted Contributor

I've got that book, I could relate to it a great deal.

Honored Contributor

I saw Oprah interview her years ago and she was clearly quite troubled. I'm sorry to hear that she's passed away. May she RIP.

Valued Contributor

I'm at a loss for words at Naomi Judd's passing..

...   so I'll let John Donne speak for me.... he says it much better..

. . . . . . . No Man Is an Island   (by John Donne)

No man is an island, entire of itself;

every man is a piece of the continent,

a part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less,

as well as if a promontory were,

as well as if a manor of thy friend’s

or of thine own were.

Any man’s death diminishes me,

because I am involved in mankind;

and therefore never send to know

for whom the bell tolls;

it tolls for thee.

Rest in peace & love, sister Naomi Judd.

Much care & respect to yr loved ones...

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@rms1954  It's a genteel way of saying that she killed herself.

Ohhhhh.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

How does one die from mental illness???

@rms1954   By suicide.

Thanks.  I kinda thought that.

Trusted Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

I thought she looked very fragile, when they were on that last awards show. I doubt she would have been able to handle a tour. How sad that she couldn't have hung on a little longer, to make it into the hall of fame. Too bad it took so long for them to receive, that honor. condolences to the family.

I also watched the recent awards and a few times while she was sitting in the audience she looked like she was starring into space and not quite there.  I was surprised when they said she was going out on tour.  

I am very sad for her  two daughter they have both battled difficult times in recent years.  Wynona' s husband was in a terrible motorcyle accident and I think lost his leg.  Ashley was in an accident in Africa and almost died.  Prayers to the family.

Honored Contributor

She seemed to be such a sweet person,caring,loving ,real, so sorry to hear this on the news, depression is very hard to  live with, bless her ,and now she has peace.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

How sad.  They must have been afraid for her all the time.