Esteemed Contributor

Back in the 60's I watched a popular game show where contestants shopped for items on stage until they used up their winnings.....it's driving me crazy that I can't remember the name of that show....I'm thinking it was an early version of a current one....help!

Valued Contributor

I remember watching this show too and I'm thinking it was Supermarket Sweep. Does that ring a bell?

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Esteemed Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

I remember watching this show too and I'm thinking it was Supermarket Sweep. Does that ring a bell?

nope...i think it was earlier....

Frequent Contributor

Was Joe Garagiola the host? That one was called "Sale of the Century".

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Respected Contributor

Wheel of Fortune started out this way then it was changed to people winning money accumulated and/or special puzzle prizes,i.e. trips, gift cards, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

Wheel of Fortune started out this way then it was changed to people winning money accumulated and/or special puzzle prizes,i.e. trips, gift cards, etc.  

YES!!  I kinda thought so, but wasn't sure.....thanks for stopping my insane obsession to remember!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

YES!!  I kinda thought so, but wasn't sure.....thanks for stopping my insane obsession to remember!!

wheel of fortune was not around in the 60s though......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Name of Game Show...

[ Edited ]

maybe SALE OF THE CENTURY, which began in 1969?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHKRkm7A3MY

Three contestants competed to answer trivia questions, with scoring in dollars. The game was interrupted at certain intervals for Instant Bargains, which allowed the player in the lead to buy a prize at a discounted prize (e.g., a $795 stereo color TV for $6), always at the risk of later losing the game; and a new feature, the "Fame Game," where the host read first-person clues leading to the identity of a person, place, thing, etc., with the winner having a chance to earn cash, a bonus prize or add to his score with the choice of one of nine numbers. The player with the highest score could elect to use his score money to buy specially-discounted luxury items (e.g., a $4,500 diamond-studded Swiss watch for $120), or accumulate his score money by winning future games and having access to either a luxury car, an escalating jackpot which began at $50,000 and increased by $1,000 per show until won, or everything on stage. Later in the show's run, the endgame's format changed, where champions chose prizes via a matching game; and again later by solving phrases within 30 seconds to win a cash bonus.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

BUZZER TV on our cable has the older game shows. Sale Of The Century shows in the 70's are shown. I cannot get over the prizes for sale, wouldn't want ANY of them. LOL 

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

BUZZER TV on our cable has the older game shows. Sale Of The Century shows in the 70's are shown. I cannot get over the prizes for sale, wouldn't want ANY of them. LOL 

Sale of the Century that is on BUZZR TVis the version from the 80s w/Jim Perry. 

The 1969–73 version began with Jack Kelly as host, who was replaced by Joe Garagiola in 1971. Bill Wendell, then on the staff of NBC, served as announcer for the entire 1969–73 version.