Honored Contributor

NURSES AT WAR DOUBLE FEATURE THURSDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Noon Eastern--  "Cry Havoc"  Ann Sothern, Joan Blondell, Margaret Sullavan, Fay Bainter, Ella Raines, Marsha Hunt, Francces Gifford, Diana Lewis, Heather Angel

What great timing!  Two movies about gallant nurses dealing with adversity-- couldn't be better for right now.  In this one, Nurse Margaret Sullavan must whip a motley crew of recruits into angels of mercy under the desperate conditions of a field hospital in Bataan.  Sweet, funny, sad.

Reliable cast includes my own favorites, Ann Sothern, Joan Blondell, Fay Bainter, Ella Raines.

1:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Homecoming"  Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Anne Baxter, John Hodiak

Old favorite in which comfortable physician and married officer Clark and spunky, dedicated nurse Lana cross paths in World War II and spark something off in each other.  Both Gable and Turner are very winning in this, Anne Baxter has the thankless socialite-at-home wife role, and as always, John Hodiak has too little screen time.  (At least he and Anne Baxter had time together, as they were married in real life!)

Anyone who thinks of Lana Turner as too "frou-frou" will be pleasantly surprised by her gritty, natural performance in this.

unnamed.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: NURSES AT WAR DOUBLE FEATURE THURSDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

I have seen Cry Havoc a few times and yes, it is a good one to see again!  I always liked Ann Southern especially when she had a TV show.  The rest of the cast is also note worthy of course and I love Joan Blondell in Desk Set!

This movie shows how women were also a big part of the war effort in many ways.  They too sacrificed.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  The movie "Cry Havoc" , is a brillent,  riveting movie about the heroism and the ability of those nurses to work under extreme emotional and mental stress in the field hospital in Bataan and how they all came to terms with their own mortality.  I'm a RN and can't imagine  how I would be able to cope in those same situations, strength sure comes from within!!!!

Honored Contributor

Cool, I didn't know you were a nurse, @hayseed00 !   Agreed, those women on Bataan, who suffered so much, made heroic sacrifices and had spines of steel.  I wish TCM would air that other nurses-on-Bataan movie, "So Proudly We Hail",  with Claudette Colbert.

Honored Contributor

And three of the tireless nurses from the aforementioned  "So Proudly We Hail"-- Claudette Colbert, Paulette Goddard and Veronica Lake:

so-proudly-we-hail-movie-two.jpg

Honored Contributor

Both these movies are on today-both favorites of mine.

Cry Havoc with Margaret Sullavan (3:30 am!!)

So Proudly We Hail with Claudette Colbert.