Honored Contributor

NORM MACDONALD LAST SPECIAL, RELEASED MAY 30

A year before he died last September, with his cancer roiling and a hospital procedure imminent, Norm Macdonald filmed his latest material in his living room.  He was unsure whether he would be around and able to do it much longer, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

a9f0bff08c8b40949bac75319542e643_xl.jpg

It turns out, he lived one more year before succumbing.  Just before dying, he reviewed the film, was pleased with the material, and in wry, irreplaceable Norm Macdonald fashion, dubbed the special--  "Norm Macdonald,  Nothing Special".  (Netflix).

What a terrific last gift from this brilliant performer.  Few contemporary comedians do anything for me, but wonderful Norm is always the exception.  His quirky persona, and his refusal of the more predictable modern pieties espoused by his peers, make him ever fresh.

Cannot post a link since any I post seem to be removed, but the Hollywood Reporter article can be retrieved by searching:

Norm Macdonald Shot Secret Final Netflix Stand Up Special Before Passing.  

Honored Contributor

Re: NORM MACDONALD LAST SPECIAL, RELEASED MAY 30

Oh no! I didn't even know he died!

This is awful. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

My family and I love Norm and we were all very sad when he passed.  Thank you for mentioning this, I hadn't heard anything about it.  It sounds like something he would do Smiley LOL We will definitely be watching!

Honored Contributor

It was sad to lose Norm McDonald, a comedian who gave us so much laughter and that is a gift in this world.  Thanks for the heads up on this  special and I will check it out as aside from being funny it will also be sad knowing he was at the end.  

I loved Norm on SNL when he would impersonate Burt Reynolds on the Jeopardy skit with Will Ferrell as Alex Trebeck, hilarious/  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell what a beautiful tribute.  

RIP Norm MacDonald...you will be missed.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @on the bay ,  I'm sorry to be the bearer of this bad news for you, but always glad that posters here  (you, @lkat@spiderw@phoenixbrd ) care. 

He apparently battled his cancer for years.  He wanted to keep it private, so many were shocked when he died.   It is nice that there is so much of his clever comedy out there, including his latest, so that his unique wit will be perpetually discovered and enjoyed.

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw We have watched that Alex Trebeck skit from SNL probably a dozen times over the years and it makes us laugh so hard every time.  That is one of my all time favorite SNL skits.  

I agree, it will be bittersweet to watch.  I'm sure it will be funny, but it will also be sad knowing that he was sick at the time.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for mentioning that SNL skit with Norm pitch-perfect as Burt Reynolds, @spiderw and @lkat .  I started re-watching it--  it is hysterical and has to be one of their best.