Honored Contributor

NEWSMAN ED HENRY DONATING PART OF LIVER TODAY TO SISTER

Ed Henry, Fox News reporter, will be taking medical leave and undergoing a 6 hour procedure today to donate 30% of his liver to his sister Colleen.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeopledotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F07%2Fed-1.jpg

Colleen has been battling a degenerative liver disease.  Since, unlike other organs, the liver can regenerate, it is hoped that both siblings will ultimately recover whatever each has lost, and be restored to full function.

Nice to see such brotherly love!  Best wishes to Ed and Colleen for safe procedures and full recovery.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEWSMAN ED HENRY DONATING PART OF LIVER TODAY TO SISTER

@Oznell   i am so glad you posted this.  this is an amazing thing that Ed is doing and i am including him in my prayers today.  he recounted the regime they put him through to get him in shape for this -  so it's been quite a process.  

i look forward to hearing that they are both out of surgery - and resting comfortably!

here's to Ed and his love for his sister! prayers up!

Esteemed Contributor

That’s wonderful. God bless them both. 🙏❤️

Respected Contributor

"I’m becoming a liver donor for the sister I love, so she can live a long and healthy life. I am determined to do whatever I can to give my sister the greatest gift of all, which quite simply is life." ~ ED HENRY

The depth of compassion Ed Henry is exhibiting can not be overstated. He is inspiring. What a great brother. Many prayers to Ed and his sister for successful surgeries and quick recoveries. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, @ms traditional,  @digo, and @MorningLover,  it is remarkable and much more involved than I would have realized.  Interesting that they set up two entirely different medical teams for donor and recipient, and try to keep the lines separate.  There are so many tests to determine if the donor will be able to go through with it, long before planning for the procedure begins.

It was intelligent to not disclose to her his plans to try to donate, lest she then suffer the disappointment of a possible misfire.  She was very far down on the transplant waiting list, and it would have been terrible to have hope raised and then dashed.  It must have been hard to keep that secret!

He said that her liver disease was a genetic and family condition, not due to alcohol abuse on her part.  Sad to have to clarify that, but I suppose some would have made that assumption, and he wanted to spare her that speculation.

Also found it interesting that they made him lose weight first.  Additionally, although it is beyond miraculous that this can even take place, no one glosses over the fact that it can be hideously painful after the division of one's liver to give a portion to another.  Hope and pray that is minimal and fleeting, and only good results ahead for this family.   

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing this.  It really touched me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'll probably never look and listen to him the same way again.  He's quite remarkable. I'll be waiting to hear how they both come out of this too.  

Esteemed Contributor

He is a remarkable man.  I saw him breakdown over the weekend on FOX news telling the story and I was tearing up with him.  My daughter at age 35 has auto immune disease which affects her liver too.  Someday one of us will most likely do the same for her.  It is a huge surgery so Godspeed to both of them!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal   i hope things go well with your situation!   fingers crossed.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Catherine Herridge, too, donated part of her liver to her son in 2006.  Was it really 2006?  It didn't seem that long ago...

C.H.

C.H.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~