Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEWS Kelly Clarkson's Ex Brandon Blackstock Wants $436K a Month in Spousal and Child Support

Anyone else tired of privileged, vindictive, greedy people? It's ugly.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: NEWS Kelly Clarkson's Ex Brandon Blackstock Wants $436K a Month in Spousal and Child Support

"He'll probably be able to get 50% of her earnings since they were married. ugh..."

Probably more since he was also her business manager.  No ifs, ands or butts about it!4_17_207.gif  And if either one of them signed a pre-nup, I bet you "business matters" wasn't even mentioned.

NEVER EVER  mix business w/pleasure.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

He was divorced by the time she started dating him (7 years after they first met).

I don't have much use for these guys who demand spousal support from their wives.  This isn't the first one and won't be the last.

He has a job, so why does he need her to support him, unless he wants to sit around and do nothing for the rest of his life?  And using the kids for even more money is beyond despicable.

Hopefully, she has a great lawyer and an iron-clad prenup!

Let me repeat my question:  Women do it.  Why not men?  Just playing devil's advocate here but would you feel differently if the situation were reversed?  

Honored Contributor

Spousal support was historically for women who had maintained the home, raised children and did not work outside the home or have any independent income.  They were not expected to have a job or had to give it up, when they married.

If the woman ended up divorced, alimony was warranted. A woman often had no work experience to fall back on and, in many states, very few rights.

in this day and age, if both of the divorcing couple have careers and/or independent income, I don't think either should be awarded spousal support.

I'm all for equality!

Valued Contributor

Reba and his dad are now divorced.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner - I hadn't seen your question to me, when I posted my last comment, but I think it answers your question anyway.

And, on a personal level - when I got divorced, my ex had a lot of money, yet I had supported him for our entire marriage.  He didn't like to work (nor spend what he had in the stock market); he was a perennial student.  I left with nothing.  No support, no division of "his" assets.

I moved back to my home state, got a job and got on with life.  I've seen other women ruin a man's life following a divorce.  I've seen men leave women penniless.  It works both ways.

But if they each signed a prenup as reported, as consenting adults, he has no business trying to now gouge her for more money.  And, yes, I would think the same, if it was the other way around!