Valued Contributor

Re: NEW FILM "RICHARD JEWELL" DIRECTED BY CLINT EASTWOOD

@patbz wrote:

I want to see "Richard Jewell" and also "1917" (directed by Sean Mendes, also an actor).

--

For the sake of clarity, Sam Mendes is the British director of "1917." I do not believe that he is an actor, although I could be mistaken.

Shawn Mendes is a young Canadian singer.

Honored Contributor

I am very interested in seeing this film. It is a sad and painful story of what can happen to innocent people. I'm sure Clint Eastwood has done a great job of telling the story. Richard Jewell was put through h*ll.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72. Too funny about the Tipperware scene, of all scenes they chose to show!
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Oznell. I'm not at all interested in seeing this film. Frankly I am getting weary of seeing these old crime stories rehashed over and over again. There are thousands of interesting crime stories that have yet to be told and that have received little or no publicity. This is more old "news."

I'm surprised that anyone would dismiss as "old news" a documentary on the exoneration of an innocent man falsely accused by the government and hounded by the press as the perpetrator of a horrendous crime with international implications. 

Richard Jewell's exoneration got far less coverage than the malicious attacks on him.  Maybe, at long last, his good name will be restored, and his family can have the peace they deserve.

Honored Contributor

I forgot all about RJ and his case after so many years until I saw the ad on TV for the movie. I had no idea the man was dead either. I don't know if I'll see the film, but of course it was a movie that had to be made. One can only imagine what that poor soul went through at the time. I can only imagine the inner turmoil and pain he felt to be falsely accused of such a crime.

Honored Contributor

@vsm. Well life is full of surprises. It is old news to me because I already know a lot about this case as I keep posting. But go ahead and cherry pick from my posts the portions you wish to condemn.
Respected Contributor

@PearleeI didn't "cherry pick" from your posts.  I don't think anyone on these boards should have to read every post or even multiple posts by a particular poster in order to feel free to repond to an individual post by that poster.  You happened to write one in response to a topic I've been interested in for years and know a fair amount about, so I decided to respond.  I'm not "condemning" you or your post.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

Is this movie being shown just on one Day? I saw on ad and it said "only in theatres December 13".

So I better buy my ticket now so I can be sure to see it in December 13?

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla, only in theaters means that it will not be available via streaming or DVD, or other platforms. It starts on Dec. 13. This will be around for a while as I am sure that the producers are hoping that this will be Oscar-worthy and they have to get it out by the end of the year to be eligible. You don't have to see it on opening day!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

@drizzellla, only in theaters means that it will not be available via streaming or DVD, or other platforms. It starts on Dec. 13. This will be around for a while as I am sure that the producers are hoping that this will be Oscar-worthy and they have to get it out by the end of the year to be eligible. You don't have to see it on opening day!

Thanks - I could not imagine that a Clint Eastwood movie would only be shown for one day. But I was not sure of the wording in the ad "only in theatres December 13".

Fathom Events shows a movie for one day in theatres. And I thought maybe this movie is being treated like a documentary. So glad it will be around for awhile.