Honored Contributor

Re: NEW FILM "RICHARD JEWELL" DIRECTED BY CLINT EASTWOOD

DH and I want to see this one. My only recollection is he was innocent, but by then, his life was ruined. What some people call old news is what many of us think of as history. Who can't learn a thing or two from history?

Trusted Contributor

A friend of mine was the ice cream vendor in the same area where the bomb was detonated.  It was a scary time for him and his family.  I would like to see the movie since I followed the story closely when it happened.

Honored Contributor

Rest assured, I'm not offended by your opinion, @Pearley,  just happen to disagree.  Opinions = fine!

@Alison Wonderland,   I personally loved Clint's "chair" performance art!   Love that he's still percolating intellectually in many directions, and directing too.   I find many older directors have so much to offer.

Very acute observation, @ms traditional..  I hadn't quite thought of it that way before, but I agree with you that looking back, that's a watershed moment.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. Your post didn't come across that way to me; you and I just have a difference of opinion.
No worries. I'm also certain you realize I do read and am interested in history🙄 but not all historical events that ever happened and not some that I'm already familiar with and remember. 🙄

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, I cannot believe your attitude towards this,  do you really know what happened to Richard Jewell???  His was destroyed by the media by them accusing him of something he did not do, it was just awful the way this man was treated!!!  Yes, he did die at a young age, and I can understand why, I am sure Clint Eastwood has done an outstanding job on this movie!

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Eastwood is a doddering old fool with a string of baby mommas. But he sure knows how to tell a compelling story.

I'll watch when it comes to Amazon.

@bathina   Doddering all the way to the bank.

(Psst-it takes two and I seriously doubt all the babies were a surprise to the baby mommas)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Hooty. Yes I do know all that. That's why I dont need to see it all again. Why dont you folks who disagree with me just respect my own opinion on this? LIve and let live.
I'm not telling you what you think is wrong (in so many words). Please have the decency to respect my opinion which is I've seen, read and heard enough about this event and would rather now see, hear, and read about news I havent yet read or heard about. Please stop chastising me for my choice of how to spend my time.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I'm thinking that the timeless themes of injustice, shallow assumptions, stereotyping and human drama represented by this case could benefit from the exposure and depth of clarity that a Clint Eastwood-directed film could give.  Anticipating excellence!

@Oznell   We do not attend the movies anymore but will see this when it shows up somewhere on cable.

It really isn't a matter of "old news"-it's a matter of how a citizen can be torn apart by the media, a media that will hurt anybody just for ratings.  Never mind the investigators.

The profile of Jewell was a joke; the investigators fit him to a profile they had in mind, disregarding evidence and also disregarding that the profile itself was flawed.

How anyone cannot see the significance of this story is sad.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3. LOL I take your last sentence to be a swipe at me. I assure you I see the significance of it because I do know a lot about this case. I choose not to rehash it all again. What is sad to me is self righteous people who are having a problem with that concept.
Valued Contributor

I am interested in watching this film. I remember that time very well. I felt so awful for him and his mother. One of the odd memories that has stuck with me all of these years is Jewell telling how the FBI went through all of his mother's Tupperware. When I heard about this movie, I told my kids about the incident, mentioning the interviews and the Tupperware.

Lo and behold! Last night Kathy Bates, who is playing Richard Jewell's mother, was on James Corden's show. A clip of the film was shown, and the clip was about the Tupperware.

If I remember correctly, Richard Jewell successfully filed several lawsuits.