Honored Contributor

NEW FILM "RICHARD JEWELL" DIRECTED BY CLINT EASTWOOD

Just saw an ad for this film, due for wide release on December 13.  It looked really good.

As a director, I think Clint has a wonderful feel for this kind of material-- a real life case of an innocent security guard, alerting authorities to the presence of a bomb during the Olympics, and then being famously turned into a suspect by the FBI, and vilified by the press.

Glad he ultimately got vindication, and a probing, no-holds-barred movie treatment by a top director can only make that all the sweeter...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEW FILM "RICHARD JEWELL" DIRECTED BY CLINT EASTWOOD

We couldn't remember if he was vindicated or not. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I'm not at all interested in seeing this film. Frankly I am getting weary of seeing these old crime stories rehashed over and over again. There are thousands of interesting crime stories that have yet to be told and that have received little or no publicity. This is more old "news."
Honored Contributor

I wonder if Richard Jewell's estate will receive a royalty, or cut of some sort, from this film.  It seems like it should.  He died in 2007 at age 44.

Honored Contributor

He was vindicated but that didn't make nearly as much news as the charges that were brought against him.

I've read some about him and the way he was treated was just terrible. Shameful.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to see "Richard Jewell" and also "1917" (directed by Sean Mendes, also an actor).

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that the timeless themes of injustice, shallow assumptions, stereotyping and human drama represented by this case could benefit from the exposure and depth of clarity that a Clint Eastwood-directed film could give.  Anticipating excellence!

Honored Contributor

I can't wait to see this movie. We went to the Atlanta Olympics. The bombing happened hours before we got there. And the park reopened during our visit. So we went to the Park the morning it reopened. Not sure if there was a ceremony reopening the Park. Jesse Jackson was there with a group.

So sad Richard Jewell is no longer around. And yes the press was brutal.

Respected Contributor

I don't think this is "old" news to his widow, Dana Jewell.

The city of Atlanta does not consider it "old" news either.

Richard Jewell will be honored for his heroic actions early next year.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh, I didn't know that he was going to be posthumously honored, @ Montana --  how nice, that is so fitting.