Honored Contributor

Re: NEW DI CAPRIO FILM, "ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD"

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, a lot will depend on how they treat the "Manson" part of the movie, which they insist will only be a part of the overall film about that period in Hollywood.  They must be giving it some prominence, though, because they have cast the part of the infamous Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme (Dakota Fanning).

The cast is just intriguing--  in addition to those mentioned, there is Al Pacino, Brenda Vacarro, Kurt Russell, Burt Reynolds.  All of whom have ties to that era in Hollywood...

@Oznell  Brenda Vacarro, havn't seen her in decades.

Honored Contributor

I know, @mousiegirl!  Glad she's still around.  I always liked her, and her throaty voice...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I know, @mousiegirl!  Glad she's still around.  I always liked her, and her throaty voice...

@Oznell  DH used to have a crush on her, lol, shocked me because she and I couldn't be any different, oh well, he is stuck with me, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oznell,

The 1968-69 periiod was a time of total personal upheaval in my life and my self-concept, owing to an ill-fated, disastrous marriage.  My groom and I had different ideas about love and fidelity, it seems.

Please excuse if this sounds like a pampered "rich-kid" memory because I wasn't wealthy.  Circumstances were different then and one could travel cheaply in Europe in that era, especially to Italy and Greece.  Besides, my in-laws were footing the bill for my six-month stay in Europe following a troubled first year.

I'll never forget where I was when the Manson Murders were first reported; I was on the Greek island of Aegina with my in-laws, my sister-in-law and her husband.  We were having breakfast outside by the dock, as was customary.  I was horrified by the news and horrified by what was going on in my life at that time.

Oh, and where was my darling husband at that moment?  Visiting the island of Rhodes with the woman who came between us.  He asked me to indulge this because "she always wanted to visit Rhodes."  Oh yes, he was not my sort of husband. 

(Perhaps I won't see this film.  Might make me recall that horrible time.   Thank heavens for my dream of a second husband!)

Sorry, but I can never remember this era separate from my personal tragedy at that time. 

Honored Contributor

How awful for you to be going through all that at a young age, @golding76.   No wonder that particular time period is fraught with disastrous memories.  I'm so glad that you got to then have your dream of a second husband-- how wonderful!  That's something to savor and celebrate....

Honored Contributor

In general, I find I prefer watching, for the most part, uplifting programs and not ones about depressing or awful scenarios.  It doesn't matter how much "star power" or excellent writing or acting may be present.

The necessary ingredients for me must be positive people trying to do positive things.  It's quite all right if they run into obstacles of any sort (from zombies to murderers to natural disasters), but I have no interest in getting into the minds of psychopaths or the like.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I agree, @GingerPeach.  I hate the current penchant in media for the "wallow" in squalor, for squalor's sake.

I'll be interested to see the reviews when this comes out, to see if it really is a broad-based take on the "zeitgeist" of that era, or just another delve into depraved minds...

Super Contributor

image.jpeg

I enjoy Leo in almost every movie he's in.....but I am so "anti-Hollywood" right now and have had my fill of celebrities, that I'll probably pass.

( I guess I have a year to think about it 😉 )

Honored Contributor

Hey, @racada, thanks for the picture of Leo and Brad in their characters' retro outfits!

Honored Contributor

@racada wrote:

image.jpeg

I enjoy Leo in almost every movie he's in.....but I am so "anti-Hollywood" right now and have had my fill of celebrities, that I'll probably pass.

( I guess I have a year to think about it 😉 )

@racada  Leo lost a lot of wieght, too skinny now, liked him better more filled out, lol.