Honored Contributor

NEW DI CAPRIO FILM, "ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD"

Almost never, do new Hollywood films tweak my interest, much less a Tarantino film.  But, this one, yes!

It's set in that strange, psychedelic, sybaritic year of 1969, at the time of the Sharon Tate murders.  Although filmmakers are careful to say that it's about the year 1969 in Hollywood, not just about the Manson crimes.

Still, it has Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate.  And Leonardo di Caprio is described as an "aging" (?, ha) actor who lives next door to the infamous house where the murders took place.  Brad Pitt is the actor's good friend and stunt man, I believe.  This combo of people  sounds promising to me, for some reason!   They even depict Steve McQueen in the film, but I'm not familiar with the actor playing him.

Many will say that the Manson "era" has been over-done.  But I think a fresh exploration of the wider milieu in which it took place, could be quite rich-- that was a transformational period in the film industry, and in society as well...

I'm not linking to the Business Insider article to avoid attacks.  It's easily looked up though, and there should be lots of other sources.  I think it's due for release in 2019.

Honored Contributor

Re: NEW DI CAPRIO FILM, "ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD"

I was in Europe when that horrific crime occurred.  We were so busy seeing the sights and were removed from what was going on in America.  However, I remember stopping to look at a newspaper in one of the countries and seeing something was going on as far as the crime being reported.  

Of course I did catch up on the horrid crimes when I came home.  I also read the book, Helter Skelter and realized what a botched up investigation occurred and if it wasn't for the prosecutor and his crew's in investigation, Manson and his followers might not have been in jail.  It was a great book but one of frustration.

It was a long time ago but ghastly crimes such as the Tate murders never go away completely, just like the serial killers who are caught., Son of Sam being one. Jack the Ripper is still of interest.  There is an audience for these type movies.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if I'd want to see it, especially if it is a graphic depiction of the murders.  Too upsetting.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I was in Europe when that horrific crime occurred.  We were so busy seeing the sights and were removed from what was going on in America.  However, I remember stopping to look at a newspaper in one of the countries and seeing something was going on as far as the crime being reported.  

Of course I did catch up on the horrid crimes when I came home.  I also read the book, Helter Skelter and realized what a botched up investigation occurred and if it wasn't for the prosecutor and his crew's in investigation, Manson and his followers might not have been in jail.  It was a great book but one of frustration.

It was a long time ago but ghastly crimes such as the Tate murders never go away completely, just like the serial killers who are caught., Son of Sam being one. Jack the Ripper is still of interest.  There is an audience for these type movies.

@spiderw  I thought Bugliosi was fabulous, could listen to him speak all day, one of the few masters of the English language.  I also read the book, and watched everything including the movie Helter Skelter.  At the time, I thought Sharon was so beautiful, having seen Valley of the Dolls,  I had never seen her before that movie.

Most of those evil monsters are still alive, and they had better never get out of prison.

Honored Contributor

I lived in LA during the murders and trials and I read more about that case and saw more crime scene photos than I ever wanted to.

I also read the books written about it, so I've had my fill of this case and I'll pass on the movie personally.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, a lot will depend on how they treat the "Manson" part of the movie, which they insist will only be a part of the overall film about that period in Hollywood.  They must be giving it some prominence, though, because they have cast the part of the infamous Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme (Dakota Fanning).

The cast is just intriguing--  in addition to those mentioned, there is Al Pacino, Brenda Vacarro, Kurt Russell, Burt Reynolds.  All of whom have ties to that era in Hollywood...

Honored Contributor

I’m not a fan of these type movies and have never seen one in the theatre; however I will watch some on TV up to a certain point. If I know justice was served, then I may watch. A good example was Versace murders. I didn’t watch 2 or maybe 3 episodes but I wanted to see what led to the criminal’s capture.

Honored Contributor

I like your good and very nuanced point, @OKPrincess.  I can't stand it when either overtly, or "sneakily",  depictions of crime somehow lend any credibility (for lack of a better word) or weird "triumph" to the perpetrators.  It's a fine line.

It's appalling in both films and TV when killers or other enemies of society, like drug kingpins, are given a pass somehow or even lionized.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I like your good and very nuanced point, @OKPrincess.  I can't stand it when either overtly, or "sneakily",  depictions of crime somehow lend any credibility (for lack of a better word) or weird "triumph" to the perpetrators.  It's a fine line.

It's appalling in both films and TV when killers or other enemies of society, like drug kingpins, are given a pass somehow or even lionized.

Who said “I want the facts and only the facts.” That’s me. 

When the killers, king pins, perpetrators are sensationalized, the crimes get bigger and more heinous. 

Anyway thats my my thoughts and they’re like you I think.

Honored Contributor

mousiegirl!

Yes, Bugliosi was everything you said and it was because of his persistence in the investigation, looking under every stone for evidence so to speak that Manson was convicted.  I just remember reading Helter Skelter and being frustrated but satisfied at the end.  One of the most horrible aspects of that crime was that Tate was pregnant.  Manson was truly an evil person and those who followed him just as vile.