Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Never watch that news channel.  I only watch one news channel.

I also use Yahoo instead of Google.  Read the news lately?

Getting news from a single source has always been dangerous, @Annabellethecat66, but now I think even more so.   We find ourselves in a vacuum and often don't know we're being shown only one part of each story.

I watch all the news channels in order to avoid developing a groupthink mentality.

EXACTLY!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@dooBdooI'm bad about keeping track of just when the articles I read were published because I read the magazine for this kind of feature articles more than for news.  If I spot it again, I'll reference it to you though.

Pretty scary how easily we're fooled, it seems.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Never watch that news channel.  I only watch one news channel.

I also use Yahoo instead of Google.  Read the news lately?

Getting news from a single source has always been dangerous, @Annabellethecat66, but now I think even more so.   We find ourselves in a vacuum and often don't know we're being shown only one part of each story.

I watch all the news channels in order to avoid developing a groupthink mentality.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Honored Contributor

I agree with you @dooBdoo I do read and I'd much rather hear things 'from the horse's mouth' so to speak.

Interesting, when you do that and then follow up by reading it somehow turns into something entirely different.  Hummm???

I also talk to people who have opposite opinions.  My oldest daughter is very, very well educated (I know, I paid for it).

She has the total opposite opinion of me.  She and I get down to 'the meat of things' so to speak....sometimes it gets really ugly (just the two of us hashing it out).  The words spoken get loud and you'd think...."these two will never make up".  But we do within hours.  I learn from her and she (maybe) learns something.

She's one of the few people I respect who has the opposite opinion from me.  Sometimes I'm amazed at what she believes, but she very, very well read.

Then I go home and look up some of what she's said.  It's often NOT what was said.  

I also NEVER read the first or sometimes the second page of something I've googled....I go deeper into the pages.  I think THAT's where you get better information.

If someone makes sense to me I will check out what they've said and sometimes change my opinion.  I'm proud of myself for being able to do that and admit when I'm wrong.  I'm also proud to say not a lot of people will do that, especially these days.  

I send emails out to companies and Senators and Congressmen.  I usually get responses.  I don't blame people (much) for not doing it (I guess they're too busy).  But I do it.  I've always done it.

You should see some of the interesting letters I've received from various people and places.  Not enough people care to do that.

I'll end by saying....'the herd is alive and well'....

Honored Contributor

Wait until Matt Lauer comes back

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this story referenced by several newspapers today (I'm sure NYT was one).  I am a news junky and daily read Washington Post, NYT, and to balance it out Drudge Report.  I form my own opinions and occasionally change them.  

Honored Contributor

I no longer watch anymore network news channels. Their reporting is bias and disgusting. I find it very difficult to even listen to the news nowadays. Who is telling the truth? I want to hear the news not the reporters feelings on the subject. The news channels have really put themselves in quite a quandry with their continuing non-accurate news they continue to report. 

"Pure Michigan"
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Honored Contributor
I deleted my post because I had quoted a now-deleted post by the Mod.
Honored Contributor

Over the years I have been horribly disappointed by: men who are only accused and not convicted being ousted from their jobs; reporters who have lied to make themselves look good, and news anchors who have done the same thing; Dan Rather; news as entertainment; ALL of the late-night shows.

I avoid tv "news" at all costs.  I read some papers, take in differing views, but as a whole don't pay too much attention to it because I might as well watch World Wide Wrestling.  It's mostly krap like sports and people choosing a team and acting like an idiot defending something indefensable. BOTH sides. 

Oklahoma has one senator I stop and listen to when I see him on tv. So I won't name him so as not to make this political.

Our country has simply gone bonkers and I blame it on the news media and their refusal to do anything about really informing us of the issues, but just keep throwing gas on the fire. 

Someone please help me down from this soapbox.  I am old.