Respected Contributor

This is part of NBC's replacement of Days.  1st week ratings came out and it's a dud.  Extremely poor ratings.  I guess they should have let well enough alone.  I no longer turn the TV on in the afternoons.  I'm sure getting lots done.

Respected Contributor

I think in 5 years there will be no networks , everything will be on streaming platforms , ABC to disney ect , i love streaming , but i don't think every thing should be. I wonder how Dancing With the Stars is doing on Disney , so many older people don't have acess. I think it was a stupid move by ABC , i hope it tanks. Other shows maybe , but like Days it has an older audience , that won't be able to watch it.. 

Valued Contributor

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the networks simply don't care whether you watch or not if you are over 49 years old.  In many cases the desired demograhic is 18-39 years old.  

If show A has a regular viewership of 8 million people weekly but those viewers are not 

young people, then show B with a regular viewership of 2-3 million (but in the coveted demo) will be able to charge more for advertising and is thus more valuable to the network.

The fact that older people generally have more money to spend doesn't matter.  We are generally seen as set in our ways and less likely to try new or different brands and/or products.  You would think a show that appeals to older viewers would have Money Management companies, laxatives, pain medications, travel companies, medical supplies and the like all clamoring to sponsor our shows and make us a desired audience.

Esteemed Contributor

@MW in Iowa 

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I think in 5 years there will be no networks , everything will be on streaming platforms , ABC to disney ect , i love streaming , but i don't think every thing should be. I wonder how Dancing With the Stars is doing on Disney , so many older people don't have acess. I think it was a stupid move by ABC , i hope it tanks. Other shows maybe , but like Days it has an older audience , that won't be able to watch it.. 

You are so right. My friend is 96 and dementia, but loves this program  for the dancing.  Now she can't watch it.

Esteemed Contributor

@781Florist 

@781Florist wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the networks simply don't care whether you watch or not if you are over 49 years old.  In many cases the desired demograhic is 18-39 years old.  

If show A has a regular viewership of 8 million people weekly but those viewers are not 

young people, then show B with a regular viewership of 2-3 million (but in the coveted demo) will be able to charge more for advertising and is thus more valuable to the network.

The fact that older people generally have more money to spend doesn't matter.  We are generally seen as set in our ways and less likely to try new or different brands and/or products.  You would think a show that appeals to older viewers would have Money Management companies, laxatives, pain medications, travel companies, medical supplies and the like all clamoring to sponsor our shows and make us a desired audience.

In today's world, we do not have more money.  At least I'm struggling.  I live in CA and everything out of sight. To old to move.  Good thing I don't drive much.

Esteemed Contributor

It won't be a loss if networks disappear in 5 years. I don't watch much TV anyway. The shows are not getting better, and I have no interest in reality shows.

As long as I have youtube, I'm set. I wouldn't be happy if that disappeared. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

@qvcaddition   I am also on a limited income, and I know the struggles many of us face economically.  However, what those of us in our position often don't consider is that when taking our age group as a whole, there are many many folks who made big money, had lucrative investments, owned properties, IRAs and pensions, and are doing a lot better than  we are in retirement.  (...and good on them!  I celebrate good fortune and am never jealous or resentful of other people's prosperity!)

These people are a good portion of our generation.  In my town if you bought a house in the 70s it was an average price of 65-70 thousand dollars.  Last year the median price of a home in my town was just over 800 thousand dollars.  The older folks who are cashing out can buy stuff!  

There are plenty of low income millenials and Gen Zs as well as the Tech millionaires.

Every group has a high, low and median earnings set.  I am very grateful to be from my time.  By the time the kids today are older and retired there may not be the resources to help care for them that we enjoy.  Besides, Beatlemania was worth being a Boomer all by itself!

Here's  to  good health, fewer struggles and happy days to all of us!

Honored Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

Like it or not, this is the truth.  The advertisers are more interested in the 18-39 year-old demographic and their disposable dollars.

Honored Contributor

Days of Our Lives was better and that sets a pretty low bar. Yes, the new show is a dud even with all the royal stuff that happened when it first aired.