Respected Contributor

NBC Loses from Days of Our Lives

Read an article yesterday saying NBC has lost 750,000 afternoon viewers since they sent Days to Peacock.  Love it!  Hope it really hurts their daytime programming and their advertisers running.

Honored Contributor

Re: NBC Loses from Days of Our Lives

[ Edited ]

It was a stupid move and I can't imagine they didn't expect this kind of outcome. Even given how bad they've gotten and how limited production values have become, soaps are probably more expensive to put on the air than is another tiresome talk show, promo, infomercial, magazine or news program, none of which is most of a daytime audience interested in watching. Sending Days to streaming was nothing more than a shortcut to cancellation. The networks get increasingly worthless and increasingly appear to be giving up. Given the schlock they consistently put out there, they probably should. Network television has never been more dreadful, unimaginative, uninspired, uninteresting or unwatchable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I am happy in one way cause maybe they will decide to,put it back on its regular time slot again . Although on the other hand I'm happy to still being able to watch on peacock each day still . What could happen is the network may just decide to trash it altogether and it will be gone and I won't love that !
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It was a stupid move and I can't imagine they didn't expect this kind of outcome. Even given how bad they've gotten and how limited production values have become, soaps are probably more expensive to put on the air than is another tiresome talk show, promo, infomercial, magazine or news program, none of which is most of a daytime audience interested in watching. Sending Days to streaming was nothing more than a shortcut to cancellation. The networks get increasingly worthless and increasingly appear to be giving up. Given the schlock they consistently put out there, they probably should. Network television has never been more dreadful, unimaginative, uninspired, uninteresting or unwatchable.

@stevieb More and more networks seem to be adding in more news shows.  Yes, there are extra hours of the morning shows and talk shows, but my local stations have more local news.  All of my local ABC, NBC, CBS stations start having news at 4:00 for an hour, another shortened rehash of the same stuff at 5:00, a half hour of National news, and then another half hour of the local news again.  

There's a plethora of news-only stations to watch if that's what people want to watch.  A half hour of local news a couple of times a day is really all we need.  The station I watched Days on has now been replaced by another news show.  Ugh. So, I'm not one of those 700,000 viewers they lost though since I always recorded it to watch later.  But, I think 700,000 viewers is sorta drop in the bucket for viewership ratings.

Esteemed Contributor

700,000+ viewers lost from daytime on a broadcast network is enormous!

The top rated talk shows generally have 2.2-2.5 million viewers.

A completely disastrous move by NBC daytime programming executives. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

ABC did the same thing with DWTS....streaming on Disney only...Good luck to them...not everyone has Disny nor wants to have it... Goodbye... 

Respected Contributor

We have too many daily news shows in my area. They got rid of new episodes of The People's Court for news? 

I'm so glad I can watch interesting shows with my ota antenna.

Honored Contributor

Certainly comes as no surprise, when you play with fire you get burned

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Read an article yesterday saying NBC has lost 750,000 afternoon viewers since they sent Days to Peacock.  Love it!  Hope it really hurts their daytime programming and their advertisers running.

Wooooo-hooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

@brandiwine 

And I think these Networks are going to see more and more of a continued drop in their viewer numbers. And Im sure they are also surprised at how few are turning to all these streaming services to watch a program.....

And just like network disappointments, even some streaming services have been disappointed in their subscription numbers, and they are now starting to partner together to mitigate losses....Some examples---like Paramount + and Showtime, and Discovery and HBO Max....People realize that paying $4.99 for this service and $6.99 for another and $13.99 for yet another is getting way too expensive and the programs arent worth watching either ......

Just like---- Im not paying to watch Dancing With The Stars on Disney + to watch psuedo celebrites learn to dance....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”