Trusted Contributor

Re: Mystery Intrigue novel suggestions ?

Have you ever read any books
by the British author Ruth Rendell? She writes wonderful mystery/ suspense books and has many books to offer. Especially good are her Inspector Wexford novels, a real treat! Unfortunately she just passed away in her '80's but she leaves behind a treasure trove to enjoy. And no sex,lol. Just intelligent, thought provoking stories.
Trusted Contributor

@Lynneuk wrote:
Have you ever read any books
by the British author RuthRendell? She writes wonderful mystery/ suspense books and has many books to offer. Especially good are her InspectorWexford novels, a real treat! Unfortunately she just passed away in her '80's but she leaves behind a treasure trove to enjoy. And no sex,lol. Just intelligent, thought provoking stories.

She also wrote under the pen name Barbara Vine - those were a bit "darker", but equally satisfying.

I had no idea she had passed. :-(

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

Yes Adelina, just a few weeks ago. She had a stroke apparently and was in hospital for a while. Then I read that she had died. Ironically, I'd recently read an article about her in one of the British newspapers about how fit and healthy she was for her age. She talked about her diet and exercise routine. Sad that there'll be no more wonderful books from her.
Respected Contributor

@CoG wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion for contemporary mystery novels? I have avoided all of my once favored authors because of the all pervasive filth . Is there anything such as a clean novel if intrigue anymore ?

CoG, are you up for a psychological thriller?   I just finished "Twisted" by Andrew Kaufman and I never saw the ending coming.   Check it out on my posting about it, or on Amazon. I am going to read something else by him now.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine are English mysteries that are not contemporary in any manner.

Try Linda Howard, James Patterson, Jayne Ann Krentz, Iris Johansen,  Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Tess Gerritsen, David Baldacci, Daniel Silva, Lee Child,

John  Grisham, Colin Dexter, and Patricia Cornwell to name a few.

Trusted Contributor

Ruth Rendell wrote right up until her death and her novels were set in the present day, so I would call them contemporary.
Honored Contributor

Kevin Obrien-all of his books are mysteries, the grab you right from the beginning and keep going, I googled all of his books,once I read the 1st one and bought them all. 

Frequent Contributor

These are all great authorsSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lindsay Davis writes about 1st C Rome.  Silver Pigs is the first book.  Her detective is Marcus Didius Falco.  Falco is ruefully philosophical about his siblings, mom, friends, and true love, Helena.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently read "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins and enjoyed it. It was a little slow in the beginning but it picked up as it went and by the end I was glad I read it.

I don't know if I'd invest in it though. I get almost all my books from the library which is close by and nice to visit. I feel a little spoiled since I'm able to get almost everything I ask for. Cat Happy