Esteemed Contributor

My surviving baby cedar waxwing

Zed is doing well and has been determined to be a great candidate for rehab by the bird sanctuary. He has been placed with a woman who does this in her home. He is still pretty little but doing well. I can call again in 2 weeks to see if he has been released into the wild yet.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Re: My surviving baby cedar waxwing

[ Edited ]

Yay!  Zed, live long and prosper and by prosper I mean have lots and lots of babies and have fun making them!

Mama, you're so awesome!

Honored Contributor

Mama, I love it when I right (I'm breaking my arm patting myself on the back)  Ha!  I'm kidding.

I was right because I said GOD sent them to you because he knew what a big heart you had and he was right (GOD's never wrong).

You worked so hard on those little guys.  Now if we were making a movie of this (Hallmark movie), Zed would tap on the window in your bedroom, you'd open the window and he'd fly in.  He'd sit on your shoulder and (with the window still up) 3 little Zed's would fly in and around your head chirping.  

Then they'd all fly back out the window.

Love you Mama, you rock!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks friends.  I justt wish I had thought to take all of them to this sanctuary.  I don't know what I was thinking trying to raise them.  When Zed got so adventurous, I knew I needed help. 

I called the sanctuary back and asked if I could get Zed when he was ready to be released so that he could go off on his own right here where he was hatched.  They said no, but they had several release sites around the state and they would release him at the closest one to where he was. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Super Contributor

I think you did the right thing by waiting Mama Wick.  The mom would have been so confused if the babies had just suddenly disappeared.  She deserved the chance to try to keep them fed and safe herself.  I'm so glad the last one is safe.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

You worked so hard on those little guys.  Now if we were making a movie of this (Hallmark movie), Zed would tap on the window in your bedroom, you'd open the window and he'd fly in.  He'd sit on your shoulder and (with the window still up) 3 little Zed's would fly in and around your head chirping.  

Maybe call it something like, ''Waxwings Over Wisconsin''. So glad he's thriving, mama, a job well done.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick

So happy to read your update.  No offense to anyone but real life in this case is way better than any movie.  I know we all look forward to the day he is big enough to survive on his own.  (Although I think we'll still kind of worry about him.  I know I worried a bit about all "my" doves after they grew up.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.