Respected Contributor

My new opinion on the reboot of Magnum.

When they first announced that Magnum would be returning I said no way do I want to watch a reboot.   Then I decided to give it a shot.  Now after watching several episodes of the show, I am liking it.  

To me, I am not looking at the show as a replacement for the original Magnum but as a different show.    I admit, the first episode just didn't do it for me.  I loved the original Magnum and felt that this new actor did not do justice to the role.   But after watching it a little more I have come to enjoy the show.   I have even gotten used the new Higgins.  

I am actually enjoying this new actor and I no longer think of him as a Tom Selleck replacement but a decent actor in his own right.   He's very nice looking and even though he doesn't have the twinkle in his eye that TS did he still is pleasant to watch.

In all honesty, however, I can't say that I am really liking the new Rick and TC.   I feel that they don't add much to the show.  

I do love the fact that they are bringing in some of the characters from Hawaii Five-O on an occasional walk-on role.    

Has anyone else changed their mind about this show after watching a few episodes.?

Honored Contributor

Re: My new opinion on the reboot of Magnum.

No, we watched it once and we were done.

Valued Contributor

I watched part of the first episode and it didn't do anything for me. Besides, nobody can wear shorts like TS! LOL!

cookin

Valued Contributor

I watched and LOVED Tom Selleck and even went to the filming of the last episode at the Naval Academy many many moons ago ...  there is only one Magnum PI for me and it’s not this guy ...  why didn’t they just give the show a different name !!  Mack or Zeke PI ...  Why Magnum ??  Stupid !!

Honored Contributor

I've only watched it once. I didn't hate it, I just haven't caught it again. While I don't think it 'replicates' the original, I was never a huge fan of that either, so that's not an issue. I honestly think they should have simply named it something else and let it stand on its own. Instead, they invited comparisons...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I didn't watch the old one, and won't watch the new version. I'm not a Selleck fan and it's not my kind of show.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I've only watched it once. I didn't hate it, I just haven't caught it again. While I don't think it 'replicates' the original, I was never a huge fan of that either, so that's not an issue. I honestly think they should have simply named it something else and let it stand on its own. Instead, they invited comparisons...

That is exactly what I said to my husband.   They should have just created a new show and allowed this actor to develop his own following without the comparison.  Trying to fill TS shoes is a huge order.   

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why people think when a new version of an old series is done, it means to be an exact copycat.  It's not.  It's meant to be a new interpretation that also is affected by modern times.  Artistic liberty should be expected.

Having said that,  I watched the first episode, and didn't think any of the  characters had much charisma, nor did they seem like a cohesive ensemble cast.   They seemed (to me) to be a bunch of people they picked up on lunch break and tried to make them work together.  IMO, they don't.

Esteemed Contributor

I am liking this show more and more.  The first episode didn't impress me, but I'm glad I kept watching.  No one could ever replace Tom Selleck, but this new actor is nice looking and is doing a good job.  Also like the female Higgins, plus there is the beautiful Hawaiian scenery!

Esteemed Contributor

I have no interest in the reboot. Back in the early 1980s I went to Hawaii for my sisters wedding and my husband and I went to a fundraiser for the U.S. Olympic volleyball team that Tom Selleck was part of. He was gorgeous in person. Not only was he there but so were a couple of his castmates as well as his girlfriend.

So nope, nobody is Magnum except Tom Selleck.