Valued Contributor

Re: My mother and other strangers

Read that this show was announced in 2015 and shown in Britain in 2016x . Since there's been no accouncement since then about a second season, it's assumed that there won't be one.  For me, it was okay but not one of the better ones.  

Honored Contributor

An article I read said the lead (Rose) was pregnant last year! I didn't realize she was that young. I googled her and each picture looked like a different woman. I would never recognize her IRL. 

Honored Contributor

Rose sometimes reminds me of a deer caught in headlights.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Jannyg wrote:

Read that this show was announced in 2015 and shown in Britain in 2016x . Since there's been no accouncement since then about a second season, it's assumed that there won't be one.  For me, it was okay but not one of the better ones.  

@Jannyg. I read the same thing. I guess that was it. I didn't think it was one of the better ones either. 

Respected Contributor

I watched and was a bit stunned with the "ending". Felt it was very much up in the air as was the character till the last seconds. 

Almost seems to me as if they were deciding the direction Rose would take depending on if the series was renewed or not. Of course all series do this, but it was so abrupt---- viewers deserve better. 

Have the same ending but develop it.

Respected Contributor

@IMW   "stunned" is a good word.  !!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This show started off great, but turned into a disappointment for me.  The actress who played Rose always had crazy eyes and became more and more unhinged.  It wasn't enjoyable to watch.  The final episode was melodramatic.  I don't know why this show could get aired and a third season of Home Fires was not filmed.  I didn't like the Durells at first, but grew to love the characters and look forward to its return in the fall.  The characters on My Mother and Other Strangers, however, were appealing at first and then became more one-note as the show went on.  I really don't know why she thought the the Air Force captain was so dreamy.  His character was undeveloped.  Also, her husband Michael was a bit of a fox.  Rose was just having a midlife crisis.  She wanted Heathclif, she said.  I don't see Heathclif in the captain - more of a milquetoast, honestly.

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Rose sometimes reminds me of a deer caught in headlights.

You hit the nail on the head with that expression.  Yes, she does have the look.....and most of the time too.

I said to myself, "why does she always have that bug-eyed look?", but I wasn't sure if that was a correct description and it sounds almost cruel, so I didn't want to use it.  But a deer caught in the headlights is exactly right.

Respected Contributor

let's remember there were only 5 episodes.  it takes time for character development. i thought it was a little uneven - but thought the actors were great. i thought it started out slowly - but got better.  but to end it at episode 5 -  serioiusly?

Respected Contributor

@Dilemma Meringue wrote:

This show started off great, but turned into a disappointment for me.  The actress who played Rose always had crazy eyes and became more and more unhinged.  It wasn't enjoyable to watch.  The final episode was melodramatic.  I don't know why this show could get aired and a third season of Home Fires was not filmed.  I didn't like the Durells at first, but grew to love the characters and look forward to its return in the fall.  The characters on My Mother and Other Strangers, however, were appealing at first and then became more one-note as the show went on.  I really don't know why she thought the the Air Force captain was so dreamy.  His character was undeveloped.  Also, her husband Michael was a bit of a fox.  Rose was just having a midlife crisis.  She wanted Heathclif, she said.  I don't see Heathclif in the captain - more of a milquetoast, honestly.

He quoted Tennyson (I think) to her.  He was romantic and more importantly, intellectually stimulating - everything her solid husband and his miserable Moybeg are not.