Respected Contributor

Re: My mother and other strangers

I also wondered if the fact that her husband may have been about to lose the Pub also prompted her to run to what she thinks is a better life.

Ironic tho that she acknowledged how the cousin's betrayal severely hurt her husband, yet she is quite willing to betray him in an even more hurtful manner.

Honored Contributor

I have been watching Masterpiece theater since the seventies.  I love the acting, the settings and everything about  the show.  Over the years there have been great series and deserve the title Masterpiece.  I wouldn't place My Mother and Other Strangers in that category.  

I felt the same way about the character Rose and her eyes!  I wasn't thrilled with the ending and I am not sure if it will return either.  It lacked substance and a great story line.  However, as always, I watch because the acting and settings are so excellent, I always feel I'm in that time period .  If the series returns I hope it will branch out and charter new waters..

Trusted Contributor

I watched My Mother and Other Strangers too.  It started out slow but I kept up with it and enjoyed it.  I think last night was the season finale show since most British programs only do 5 or 6 episodes.  I know Grantchester is back on and I love that one too. The Durrells in Corfu is back for season 2.  So many great British shows that are on.  Very excellent programs.  

Super Contributor

Yes, I realize he quoted Tennyson - but to fall so madly and passionately in love was a bit silly. It was just that he represented an ideal to her and she was behaving as foolishly as her young, naive daughter.  Oh, and the gasping and open-mouthed, quivering chin gaping as she looked at the window to see the Captain... It was so overwrought.  

Respected Contributor

Overwrought is a good description.  Her "promise to never leave me" - when she was in the process of breaking that promise to her husband, seemed especially pathetic.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Overwrought is a good description.  Her "promise to never leave me" - when she was in the process of breaking that promise to her husband, seemed especially pathetic.

That was my favorite part. And her husband might have been nice to look at but a real nothing. He rarely even looked at Rose except to complain about his own personal woes, but at night, well, he got very cozy, didn't he? I just didn't like him. The captain I can't quite get out of my mind.

I remember reading once that the pop eyed look is from an overactive thyroid. 

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

That was my favorite part. And her husband might have been nice to look at but a real nothing. He rarely even looked at Rose except to complain about his own personal woes, but at night, well, he got very cozy, didn't he? I just didn't like him. The captain I can't quite get out of my mind.

I remember reading once that the pop eyed look is from an overactive thyroid. 

With money being tight - so much so that he will probably lose the Pub, he buys her a diamond ring.  Yep, he's a real loser in the romance department.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer  Still a jerk, IMO. She's not Irish, and I think she really doesn't even like him.  Doesn't 'get him' still.

I couldn't agree more! I enjoy all of the Masterpiece programs from bygone eras....however this has taken such a hurtful turn, that it is hard to watch!

Frequent Contributor

I finally figured out where i saw the actor who played the captain.  It was driving me crazy.

It finally came to me:  He played Ken Cosgrove on Mad Men.