Esteemed Contributor

I am a big, huge fan of this musical.

I fell in love with it when I first saw it back in the 1980's and have seen the stage show a total of four times since.

In my mind, I AM on stage belting out those songs, especially "Memory", but alas, the reality is far, far different than what is in my fantasy.

So, I went to the very first showing of the movie version of "Cats" today, and there were only four of us total in the theatre, me and three others.

For the most part, it stuck to the stage version, although they did add one new song, and the song "Mungo Jerry & Rumpleteezer" was sung compleatly differently than the stage version.

There were parts where when Grizabella was singing, that I was crying, not because of the acting or anything, but because I felt sad for her.

I found myself mouthing along to the words of the song, and when "Memory" was being sung, I was emoting with my arms.

Don't worry, I made sure to sit in the very last row, so as not to bother anyone.

All-in-all, I would give this movie 3.75 stars out of five.

Will I see it again?

Probably not.

I still prefer the stage version, but I guess the movie will do if one can't make it to see the stage version.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Contributor

I have probably seen "CATS" live in the theater about 10 times over the last 25 years,even lucky enough to see it twice on Broadway....I will go see the movie but nothing can compare to seeing it live with the interaction from the actors and audience..one time I can remember a lady in the first row actually petting  the ears of one of the actors and true to form the feline actor reacted like a real cat....fun show...nevet left not smiling,knew I couldn't sing but thought I could dance just like them...I can't but was fun to think I could.

Trusted Contributor

Isn't it amazing and wonderful that we can have that magical feeling of being able to sing & dance when we really can't - whether by restraint or inability?  I am personally physically inept in both areas...I could not carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it and I am lucky I don't trip over my two left feet going out to get the mail.  However, in my mind and heart I am one with the music.  I can sit in a chair and truly feel like I am dancing gracefully and/or singing beautifully.  I am always amazed by this but so grateful it happens.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I also was fortunate enough to see Cats on stage, several times, I loved it. I will go to the movie, I don't pick my entertainment by a show of hands , I'm looking forward to it, and if it isn't stellar, I can still hear Memory. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I took my mother to see Cats after lunch one Sunday. She fell asleep just before Memory was sung. I kept tapping her and she woke up and enjoyed it. She liked the costumes. 
   The next day I called her that evening after work as I normally did and she told me about her day, going to the dentist and having lunch. 
    I had a call from her Dr. later that night. She had an asthma attack and passed away. 
    I thought about seeing the movie, but decided I'll just remember our afternoon over 20 years ago.

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers  OMG that is so sad but I understand that is your memory of you & your Mom I agree with you and cherish that day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I took my mother to see Cats after lunch one Sunday. She fell asleep just before Memory was sung. I kept tapping her and she woke up and enjoyed it. She liked the costumes. 
   The next day I called her that evening after work as I normally did and she told me about her day, going to the dentist and having lunch. 
    I had a call from her Dr. later that night. She had an asthma attack and passed away. 
    I thought about seeing the movie, but decided I'll just remember our afternoon over 20 years ago.

I understand.

The first three times that I saw "Cats", I was with my mom.

The first time that I saw the show after she died was hard.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers  I'm sorry, that is a sad story.  It's a reminder how fragile life really is.  Nice that you can hold that special time in your heart.  God bless.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a Broadway person so there's no way I'm going to sit through 2 hours of singing & dancing with basically no plot.

It seems all the performers did a good job, too bad the movie is a flop

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  thank you. Cats is back on, and I will see it next week