Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 lb life last night 4-17

@bootsanne wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Both Medicaid and Medicare cover weight loss surgery. So I am sure that is why some people go that route. 

Last night the lady said several times she just wanted to take a pill and have everything taken care of. And I can't help but wonder that some people feel weight loss surgery is a magic pill that will make them lose weight.

I also found the lady last night just whipped up # of pounds she lost. The first phone call with Dr Now she said she lost 70 pounds. And a month later she said she lost 120 pounds. But she never weighed herself to see what she really lost.

I had my gastric surgery in 2006.  I had been at my job for 29 years and had excellent health insurance.  I had to pay --up-front- for this surgery and also the skin removal.  Even having my lawyer and doctors send letters to the insurance company , the insurance company denied it saying this surgery was unproven.  As of 5 years years ago BC/BS was still denying gastric surgery.  My current company also doesn't pay.

I worked with a guy that had gastric bypass surgery. Our insurance company paid for everything. He was so happy. Then he quit about 8 months after having the surgery. Too bad you didn't have our insurance.

I have no idea if the insurance company paid for his skin removal. I think he knew he was leaving and didn't hang around with us anymore.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@bootsanne 

I hope you have been successful losing weight and keeping it off, it must be very difficult.  Good luck to you!  I admire your willingness to do what's needed to change your life.  Since you worked, you probably were nowhere near 600 pounds! 

It seems no private insurance companies will cover the surgery since it has less a than 5% success rate over time.  This statistic is posted at the beginning of every "My 600 Pound Life" show.  

Evidently, the federal government is willing to pay.  Since you paid everything yourself, you know how very expensive this is, especially if long hospital stays are required post surgery due to complications.  Rehab and skin removal surgeries add to the cost. 

I hope you reach your goal if you haven't already done that!  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic
Actually that 5% success rate is not referring to all gastric bypass surgeries, it is referring to the success rate for the 600 lbs plus group in losing weight and keeping it off.
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe 

Thank you for that info!  

I'll pay attention next time to see if the statement refers only to the super obese, those 600 lbs. and above.  I never noticed that in the past, if that is the case they should make that info clear.   Hopefully, those who are less obese have better long term results!   

Thanks again! 

Valued Contributor

@this is my nic Thank you for your reply.  I was never that large, at my highest I was a 4x-5x  and got down to a misses size 14. I only could maintain that size by eating virtually nothing.  I also had horrible complications after both surgeries requiring daily at home nursing and at 1 time I was getting 12 hours a day of intravenous feeding. No solid food for 10 weeks.  I had massive infections but Dr. Now's patients usually get the sleeve through laparascopic surgery  which is not nearly as invasive as my surgery .

Long story short, the weight started to come back with a vengeance 5 years after the surgery.  For me to lose weight now I have to go on around 600 calories a day.  I'm not blaming the surgery and admit I do make poor choices.  I've maintained a 1x sometimes 2x for the past several years.  No one in the group I was in has been successful long term.  I give praise to anyone who has lost a large amount of weight and kept it off   It takes a lot of discipline.  I wish I was smaller but I'm fortunate that even at this age and weight I don't have any major health problems.    

Respected Contributor

@bootsanne 

Bootsanne, I'm sure it's very difficult and the surgery is not the magic answer that many people on the tv show think it is.   You certainly had your share of complications, and then some!  

I'm sure you've been tested for things such as a sluggish thyroid.  

Keep up the good work!  You may not be at your goal weight, but you certainly aren't where you once were.  Congratulations on that!  I hope you continue to remain healthy!  That's what it's all about.  Best wishes!