Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 lb life last night 4-17

What I could not understand was her "support" team. In the beginning it looked like her boyfriend was doing all the work. But then when her boyfriend left she had "no one". Her neighbor across the street was getting her food for her. 

What about her Mom? The only time you saw her Mom was when she said goodbye before she went to Houston. And what about her kids. Her two sons seemed to have stepped up when she moved to Houston. But before then, why would she have to depend on a neighbor?

Honored Contributor

As I missed the ending turning it off... did she get on track and lose the weight and have the surgery?

Respected Contributor

I too wonder how they can get to where they are having other people do the most private things for them, and how they can even stand to be filmed naked like they are . I wonder if they get free surgery and treatment .

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

As I missed the ending turning it off... did she get on track and lose the weight and have the surgery?

@SeaMaiden  I just finished watching; she lost 47 pounds and Dr Now approved her for the surgery if she was able to get up and take some steps first.

I have to say she surprised me, and I hope she is successful.

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I just finished watching; she lost 47 pounds and Dr Now approved her for the surgery if she was able to get up and take some steps first.

I have to say she surprised me, and I hope she is successful.

@Caligurll    Thanks for the update.  I wish her well too. No one wants to be that miserable.

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I too wonder how they can get to where they are having other people do the most private things for them, and how they can even stand to be filmed naked like they are . I wonder if they get free surgery and treatment .

I'm sure they must get free surgery and treatment.  Can't think of any other reason these people would expose themselves in such a way to the world. It gets me that their caretakers too are usually obese. I'm sure most get government assistance too.  How in the world can they afford all the fast foods on limited budgets?

Honored Contributor

It felt like she didn't have a good support system.  Sometimes people are out into the hospital to get them jump started on the plan.  That probably should have happened.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 wrote:

This woman seemed to live in a fantasy world. Her voice drove me crazy too. I had a difficult time understanding what she was saying at times. I'm glad she finally lost some weight. I wonder if she was able to keep it off? I thought it was sad when she called her son in prison and asked him to forgive her. He seemed so happy to hear from her.

@colliemom4   Did you notice that her voice became deeper when she was upset about something?  I believe that squeaky voice was fake.

Respected Contributor

For the reasons you all have stated, I had to stop watching this show.  The last episode I watched was Stephen.  He was such an awful person (I think that's his name--he had a morbidly obese brother too) that I couldn't take it any more.  

My heart goes out to people that suffer from obesity and it takes a lot of will power to start that much of a weight loss journey.  My best friend was obese and had a lap band procedure but didn't adjust her eating habits.  It wasn't until we did a fun run (the Color Run) and she almost couldn't finish walking it, that she made that adjustment and signed up at a gym that specialized in bariatric patients, that she started to lose weight and she has done a remarkable job. I'm so proud of her.

I do 'watch' the show through your comments though and I am finding that my feelings about it are still the same.

Valued Contributor

@Azcowgirl having had several surgeries myself that have left me unable to take care of myself, it is totally demoralizing  and humiliating.  You couldn't pay me a million dollars to have it filmed  .But these people on this show  seem to enjoy this kind of perverse attention that they need.  Having watched this show for several years, I think most of Dr. Now's patients are in the 95% failure rate.  The last several shows have been fairly disturbing and there has been quite a few deaths of the doctor's patients.  I think putting these people in the hospital and have them lose over a hundred pounds in a month is not teaching them how to cope in real world.  Plus the fact that some of them haven't walked in years isn't going to help with long term weight loss.  

This show is heavily edited.  IMO the woman on last night was a total fake.  I wish there were follow up shows to track the progress or failure of these patients.  TLC must be making a lot of money on this show because I'd estimate between all the hospital stays, transports, lodging , operations, therapy, etc. that it costs probably close to $250, 000 per patient.