Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 Pound Life 3-13-19

@colliemom4 thanks...very interesting!

Respected Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

I do feel for the entire family, but they are dysfunctional in so many ways that I feel it would take years to get them on track mentally to even begin a journey with Dr. Now.

@colliemom4   I totally agree.  Therapy should have been started way before anything else.  The diet doesn't work alone.  Both of them need long-term therapy before they can even begin to understand how the bypass surgery works.  They think they are going to come out of surgery, thin.  No amount of scolding is going to make them understand.  Too bad we don't get to see that - although I know Dr. Now is aware of this - but it IS a TV show and time is money.

This show does not give an accurate depiction of weight loss surgery protocol.  It can take years of extensive psychotherapy before one is even cleared for the surgery. People who are morbidly obese suffer from an eating disorder. They can't just start a diet and be fixed. In fact, they admit to trying one diet after another. Chronic dieting is often a precursor for an eating disorder.

I find this show to be pure exploitation.  For those who criticize and judge; know that it is just more of the same words that they have been hearing their entire lives. To think that they choose to live this way is simply ridiculous.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The episode this past week was awful too.  The woman's first weigh in was over 700 pounds.  At one point she got stuck on the rear floor of a taxi, the fire dept. had to be called to rescue her.  She did receive the surgery, but was not in good shape and she died after going home.  I'm pretty sure that was the sequence of events.

At the beginning of every show the fact is stated that less than 5% of patients who have the surgery are successful in the long term 

I've wondered who pays for the surgeries, hospital stays, rehab and relocating to Houston.  Most of the people profiled on the show appear to be low income and almost none of them are able to work.  Does the show pay for everything?  The cost has to be at least a million dollars and likely more. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

The episode this past week was awful too.  The woman's first weigh in was over 700 pounds.  At one point she got stuck on the rear floor of a taxi, the fire dept. had to be called to rescue her.  She did receive the surgery, but was not in good shape and she died after going home.  I'm pretty sure that was the sequence of events.

At the beginning of every show the fact is stated that less than 5% of patients who have the surgery are successful in the long term 

I've wondered who pays for the surgeries, hospital stays, rehab and relocating to Houston.  Most of the people profiled on the show appear to be low income and almost none of them are able to work.  Does the show pay for everything?  The cost has to be at least a million dollars and likely more. 

I am pretty sure she said that she was on disability. So I am guessing that she is also on Medicaid. So Medicaid is probably covering her surgeries, hospital stay and rehab. 

In the past I have seen Dr Now on the phone making sure that payment would be made for upcoming procedures with the patient. And he was not talking to TLC.

I know on some of the other shows the people are paid. But I have never heard about payment to anyone on 600 lb Life. 

PS - You got me thinking. The show used to be a different set up. Dr Now and his son used to do the surgery. They used to have a lady that interviewed the people and determined if they would be a good candidate. She would talk with the patient a number of times. And then Dr Now, his son and her would have a conference about the patient and should they do the surgery. And they also checked to make sure that they would be paid for the surgery.

They seems they are alot more eager to do the surgery now. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

I am pretty sure she said that she was on disability. So I am guessing that she is also on Medicaid. So Medicaid is probably covering her surgeries, hospital stay and rehab. 

In the past I have seen Dr Now on the phone making sure that payment would be made for upcoming procedures with the patient. And he was not talking to TLC.

I know on some of the other shows the people are paid. But I have never heard about payment to anyone on 600 lb Life. 

PS - You got me thinking. The show used to be a different set up. Dr Now and his son used to do the surgery. They used to have a lady that interviewed the people and determined if they would be a good candidate. She would talk with the patient a number of times. And then Dr Now, his son and her would have a conference about the patient and should they do the surgery. And they also checked to make sure that they would be paid for the surgery.

They seems they are alot more eager to do the surgery now. 

I think you're thinking of Robert and Garth Davis, father and son.  They also had a show similar to 600# Life a couple years ago.  They had a nurse who consulted with the patients prior to surgery, determining whether they were ready for the surgery. I don't believe Dr. Now's son is a surgeon - his name appears in the credits as a producer.

Contributor

I felt bad for the the two women who lost the husband/father but I really found her annoying. I have been up and down my whole life (no where near their weight) and I know that woman was not ready to lose weight. There have some people who anger me. The one guy who lived with his mother and she was usually cooking for him or getting him food. He was the guy who was knitting or doing crafts. I heard she passed away and then he passed away. Then there were the two brothers from Jersey area and the younger brother hated the older brother. The older man was rude, spoiled, and needed his jaws wired. If for no other reason than to shut him up. Dr Now had to tell at him all the time for abusing the hospital staff. I don't know what happened to them but I wanted to smack that brat. Also watching some people eat had helped me to watch my intake.

Trusted Contributor

When she said "Dr. Now told me I have to clean myself after I go to the bathroom" I almost threw up. I don't know how the medical staff didn't wretch at the smell she must have had from such total lack of hygiene.

Call me judgmental - for the love of God you can still attempt to wipe yourself. The poor dogs.