Honored Contributor

Did anyone watch Lacey's story last night? That was so weird!

Contributor

Yes. Was not expecting that. Hope not all episodes are lie that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sorry. I didn't mean to post this in the holiday section. Does anyone know how I can move it to tv?

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 

I found the obvious exploitation of the participants, all of whom had such obvious mental health/cognitive/personaliy deficits for "ratings" (apparently) was quite disturbing to me. 

What was particularly troublesome to me was the precarious state Lacey was left in at the end of the show.

If the producers think the audience is interested in seeing these types of episodes instead of "success stories", I think they are sadly mistaken!

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@colliemom4 

I found the obvious exploitation of the participants, all of whom had such obvious mental health/cognitive/personaliy deficits for "ratings" (apparently) was quite disturbing to me. 

What was particularly troublesome to me was the precarious state Lacey was left in at the end of the show.

If the producers think the audience is interested in seeing these types of episodes instead of "success stories", I think they are sadly mistaken!

@pdlinda 

I totally agree with you.  This episode was not about a weight loss journey at all.  It was very sad and disturbing to exploit this couple. I hope there are no more episodes like this one.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

That was a very sad story and I felt bad for her getting left on the side of the road basicly. Her fiance just turned on her  and her future sister-in-law was horrible ! Her language was filthy ( every bleep was a curse word) and the way she talked about the woman trying to lose weight was just awful  ! The future sister-in-law was fat, sloppy looking  and obviously not taking care of herself so how she could talk about the lady trying to lose weight was unbelievable. The boyfriend was afraid of his sister so he just went along with her.  I'm sure the TV crew had something to do with her getting back home safely although she found a family from her home area to ride back to Washington state with. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My 600 LB life

[ Edited ]

I can't help but think alot was edited. The first trip to Houston, even though it took 5 days to get to Houstonthey all seem to be getting along. Sharon was even encouraging. 

Then Lacey didn't follow through and get her weight checked in 2 months or contact Dr. Now. Then suddenly they are moving to Houston. And on the ride down to Houston Part II, Rick and Sharon find out Lacey lied.

It seemed like Sharon had to do alot for both of them. Since neither one was able to drive, Sharon had to take them grocery shopping and drive them to Houston. And to have it take maybe 5 days. Sounds ripe for tension.

I can't help but think there were alot of "stuff" that was not shown. No one was blameless but I find it hard to watch that Lacey was left at the gas station. But later Lacey said she would not get back in their vehicle. 

Just like 90 Day Fiance it looks like TLC is looking for crazy storylines.

Honored Contributor

My questions is---do these people get paid to tell their about all this? And who in their right mind would allow a camera running when they are in the shower or getting dressed. I watched some of  Laceys stories and was appalled at her awful series of bad luck. but glad that friend came to her rescue--hopefully---Tri Cities is in south eastern WA state. and is very hot and very cold duriing the year.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

My questions is---do these people get paid to tell their about all this? And who in their right mind would allow a camera running when they are in the shower or getting dressed. I watched some of  Laceys stories and was appalled at her awful series of bad luck. but glad that friend came to her rescue--hopefully---Tri Cities is in south eastern WA state. and is very hot and very cold duriing the year.

How much do TLC's 'My 600-lb Life' subjects get paid to be on the show?

TVOvermind reported that subjects are paid a flat rate with their initial contract, which has also been deemed a "talent fee," of a measly $1,500 to be on the show. When you consider that filming takes place over the course of a solid year, the flat rate is barely enough to buy a week's worth of Daily Harvest meals (just kidding).

With that being said, the show does pay for the participants' surgeries, doctor’s appointments, and hospital stays over the course of a year, which would typically cost them an arm and a leg. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, weight-loss surgery can cost between $15,000 and $25,000, sometimes more. Obviously, it all depends on what kind of bariatric surgery is needed. Whether it be gastric bypass, adjustable gastric banding, or sleeve gastrectomy, it's all expensive.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   All of Dr. Now's patients look like they're on SS disability and Medicaid recipients.  Medicaid (and you) probably pays for all the medical expenses.   I've never yet seen one of his patient who appeared to have a middle class income or came from a successful family.  I have an acquaintance who has lived on SSI for years while in public housing and she got free weight loss surgery.  She's still hugely overweight and loves posting her high calorie menus and recipes on FB. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment