Honored Contributor

Mutiny on the Bounty

[ Edited ]

I like the 1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty. I happened to see it was on today, so I had to watch. I was quite impressed with the remarks Dave Karger made at the end of the movie. I am sorry I missed his opening remarks. He said that they were trying to make this movie as accurate as possible. They found the tailor that made the uniform for William Bleigh. The tailor used his notes from making the Bleigh uniform to make the uniform for Charles Laughton. 

MGM also made a duplicate ship of The Bounty. And sailed it to Tahiti and back. It was the most expensive movie made to date. Now I want to watch the movie again and check out the uniforms. Would have liked to see them in person.

I watched the beginning of the movie remarks. Apparently when Frank LLoyd presented the idea for the movie Mutiny on the Bounty, L. B. Mayer didn't like the idea. But Irving Thalberg liked the idea. So I thank you Irving Thalberg. Clark Gable was not thrilled about doing a historical movie (guess he had no idea what he would be starring in in 1939). He also wasn't thrilled that he would have to shave his mustache. 

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the version with Mel Gibson! I wish it'd come on.

Honored Contributor

It's a tie w/me regarding the 2 versions of MOTB.  The original version, the acting is suburb.  The scenery is black & white.

The Marlon Brando version started my yearly trips to Tahiti and the building of my fantasy Tahitian dream house.  The acting was "ok" but the scenery was absolutely breathtaking.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I really like the version with Mel Gibson! I wish it'd come on.

@Goldengate8361 I didn't know there was a 3rd version!  I need to check that one out.

On the hunt now......

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac it's with a very young Mel Gibson. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

I found it on YouTube.  It's called Bounty.  Downloading it now.  Thank you for the heads up!

During my search I found out there are 4 versions of MOTB.  The last version was shown as a tv movie in 2011.faint.gif Must have been so bad, I can't find it anywhere.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure which one I like better - each is very good in its own way. 

You can't go wrong w/Clark Gable.  He looks so different w/o the mustache.  I think he's a very good actor.  So natural and at ease in whatever he's portraying.  Charles Laughton as Bligh is so grotesque, you want to cheer when his ship is taken away from him.  Two xtremes - Gable and Laughton - gotta luv that.

You can't go wrong w/Brando either.  He is a mumbler, I wil say, but he commands your attention whenever he is on screen.  Trevor Howard who played Bligh in that one was also very good.  I can watch these movies over n over and always pick up something new.

Haven't seen the Mel Gibson one.  Didn't Russell Crowe due a Mutiny on the Bounty movie also?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Jellybean - This is the information I found.

There have been three highly successful movies based on the incident: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), starring Clark Gable and Charles Laughton; Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), starring Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard; and The Bounty (1984), starring Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins. 

There was also a TV movie mutiny on the Bounty from 2011. It starred Mark Chinnery, Steve Ryan, Ivan Sontsev and Andrey Surcek.

Did not find any Mutiny on the Bounty movie for Russell Crowe.

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN  @drizzellla   Russell Crowe starred in Master and Commander, an excellent movie and highly recommend.  Has nothing to do with Bounty.  

I prefer the Gable/Laughton version.  Have never seen the Gibson version and not likely to!!