Honored Contributor

Music lovers - Traveling Wilburys Anyone?

Wanted to share another fave band, The Traveling Wilburys, ignore if it's not your choice in music!

The Traveling Wilburys were an English–American supergroup consisting of Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. Originating from an idea discussed by Harrison and Lynne during the sessions for Harrison's 1987 album Cloud Nine, the band formed in April 1988 after the five members united to record a bonus track for Harrison's next European single. When this collaboration, "Handle with Care", was deemed too good for such a limited release, the group agreed to record a full album, titled Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1. Following Orbison's death in December 1988, the band released a second album, which they titled Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3, in 1990.

The project's work received much anticipation given the diverse nature of the singer-songwriters. The band members adopted tongue-in-cheek pseudonyms as half-brothers from a fictional Wilbury family of travelling musicians. Vol. 1 was a critical and commercial success, helping to revitalise Dylan's and Petty's respective careers.

In 1990, the album won the Grammy for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group.
Although Harrison envisaged a series of Wilburys albums and a film about the band, produced through his company HandMade, the group's final release was in February 1991. After several years of unavailability, the two Wilburys albums were reissued by the Harrison estate in the 2007 box set The Traveling Wilburys Collection. The box set included a DVD containing their music videos and a documentary on the band's formation.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Music lovers - Traveling Wilburys Anyone?

Anyone remember the Wilbuys? Oh! Brother Where Art Thou?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

Loved the Traveling Wilburys! Boy, do I miss Tom Petty. Thanks for sharing.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

thanks for the memoriesSmiley Happy....

i loved their musicHeart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Wow, now I have to dig out my old cd's, great band.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Count me in as a fan. I remember one night in a small bar with friends, at least a decade after the song was released, Tweeter and Monkey Man came on and I was hooked. I listened to every word thinking "What the heck is this?" but in the best way possible. 

From the opening guitar riff and Dylan's iconic voice I was mezmorized. Later, as I delved deeper into the lyrics I learned it was meant as an homage to Springsteen and that just made me love it even more. I do wish Roy Orbison had been on the recording. I think he passed away right around that time. 

To this day, every time I play that song I'm transported right back to the night I first heard it. I love how music does that. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom  Loved this group of musicians have all the albums not the box set however.  They were/are so good - great music, great musicians.  Play these often.

Honored Contributor

I too loved the Traveling Wilburys, brings back memories.  My sister loved them even more and their songs remind me of her, she is a big Petty and Dylan fan.  Roy Orbison had a unique voice, every song he sang was special to me.  In Dreams, Crying, Blue Bayou,  to name but a few, excellence!!!!!  The Wilbury's made their mark in music history for sure!

Esteemed Contributor

I loved the first album they did. I got it in a grab bag at Christmas on vinyl best grad bag gift I ever got.