Honored Contributor

Re: Murder on the Orient Express

@icezeus wrote:

I just returned from seeing this movie a short while ago. I loved it. It did not even seem like two hours to me. The movie completely held my attention.

I have not read the book or seen any of the previous versions of this movie.

@icezeus  In that case, the ending should have been esp. cool for you!  Excellent!

I read the book in high school so I've known the ending for a long time.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday at a luncheon, one of the women at our table said she had just seen the movie and said it was great and that we all should go see it!

(She had personally ridden on the Orient Express on two occasions.)

Honored Contributor

I can't wait to see it.  I would have seen it by now but I'm going to Denver next Monday and my daughter and I are going to see it together.  That is our 'thing' we do together.

I specifically asked her to wait to see it.  I try to talk her into watching the same TV shows and movies I do so she can explain some things to me.

My late husband and I used to watch all of the Poirot shows together over and over.  We were real fans of the actor who played him.....and the stories.

I've seen this movie so many times by other actors but it never gets old for me.

Honored Contributor

Oh dear...I said in my previous post that I doubted I'd be bored.  Went to see it today and couldn't wait for it to end.  I nearly walked out midway through it and at one point almost nodded off.

Kenneth Brannagh was so wrong for the role of Poirot, IMO.  He almost seemed to make a caricature of him and, despite the stellar cast, the whole thing seemed wooden and uneventful to me.  And his "Belgian accent"...mais, non!  (Did love Johnny Depp in his role though, so not a total loss!)

To those who enjoyed it, I'm happy for you.  For me?  I'm glad I went to see it, to form my own opinion, but I'd never watch it again.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Oh dear...I said in my previous post that I doubted I'd be bored.  Went to see it today and couldn't wait for it to end.  I nearly walked out midway through it and at one point almost nodded off.

Kenneth Brannagh was so wrong for the role of Poirot, IMO.  He almost seemed to make a caricature of him and, despite the stellar cast, the whole thing seemed wooden and uneventful to me.  And his "Belgian accent"...mais, non!  (Did love Johnny Depp in his role though, so not a total loss!)

To those who enjoyed it, I'm happy for you.  For me?  I'm glad I went to see it, to form my own opinion, but I'd never watch it again.

@Venezia  Thanks for this post. I also don't think Branaugh is right for that role.  I haven't seen this version but your post doesn't surprise me at all, esp. your remarks about him.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the first generation of this film. Great if you like mysteries. 

Trusted Contributor

As a huge Agatha Christie fan, I was very excited to see this movie, but ended up disappointed because of several inserted scenes that did not not happen in the book and out of character behavior by Poirot that made me mad.  I think both the Albert Finney movie and the David Suchet television program were much more faithful to the book.  The photography was beautiful though, and there were several good performances in it.  I think if you are a casual fan or haven't seen previous movies or read the book that you will enjoy it, although my husband nodded off during it.  I kept nudging him and saying, "That is not in the book!" or "Poirot would never do that!"

Esteemed Contributor

I am a huge Agatha Christie fan also.  I want to see this movie.  Maybe I will get a chance after Thanksgiving.  I loved all of your reviews of the movie, thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

We saw Orient Express yesterday afernoon.  My DH,DD,DGD,and son-in-law all went together. Everyone loved it and we're mixed ages,obviously.  It kept our interest and was beautifully filmed. I read all the Christie mysteries years ago,I may start rereading them. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I'm going to see it in Denver with my daughter.  I go see her tomorrow for Thanksgiving.  The movie is one of the many things we'll do together.  There are lots of things and little time.  She's so excited.  Shopping for specific things I like and things she wants me to cook for her.

It's usually been my observation that if you've read the book of something FIRST, the movie usually isn't as good as the book.  I know, I've done that and so do my granddaughters. I take them to movies where they've read the book first (my daughter's rules).  They're teenagers so they're not quite a picky as adults about adhering to the book; but even so, they often have issues with the movie versus the book.

I used to like to see a movie and then read a book AFTER the movie.  I'd like it because it would put a face or location, etc as I read the book.  The North and South trilogies were like that for me.

Have a great Thanksgiving ladies!