Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mrs. Wilson last night

[ Edited ]

@lynne6was7 wrote:
@esmerelda, she was selfish because she knew her sons had half-siblings even before Alex's funeral and she kept it from them - not just while she was trying to find answers, but from 1962 until after her death in 2005! They didn't connect until 2007. One or more of them could have died during that time period without ever knowing. She took that choice away from her sons. She was self-centered because she could see only herself, and maybe her sons, as the victim. There were at least four families injured by Alex's actions.

@lynne6was7  For accuracy, he didn't die until 1963.  (Maybe 1962 was a typo.)

I guess she thought their good opinion of their father meant more to them (and her) than knowing about half-siblings.  

I don't fault her for anything.

Interesting that even though he was married before he married her and married again after he married her, she is the one he lived and died with.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I want to know what was so appealing about him that four women, at least, married him. The actor portraying him was anything but appealing. I thought Alison was selfish and somewhat of a coward to check out and hide away in a convent. She had sons and grandchildren whose lives should have been important to her.

@occasionalrainI guess he had that certain something.  The picture of him at wiki isn't bad.  I think they might have found a different actor who might have resembled him more.

Maybe she was a coward to check out, but it was how she dealt with it.  People do what they can.  I don't think it kept her from seeing her family.  Vows of chastity, poverty and obedience...not isolation.  I did think it was odd (in the show) the older son brought his baby to see her with his brother and without his wife.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@lynne6was7 wrote:
@esmerelda, she was selfish because she knew her sons had half-siblings even before Alex's funeral and she kept it from them - not just while she was trying to find answers, but from 1962 until after her death in 2005! They didn't connect until 2007. One or more of them could have died during that time period without ever knowing. She took that choice away from her sons. She was self-centered because she could see only herself, and maybe her sons, as the victim. There were at least four families injured by Alex's actions.

@lynne6was7  For accuracy, he didn't die until 1963.  (Maybe 1962 was a typo.)

I guess she thought their good opinion of their father meant more to them (and her) than knowing about half-siblings.  

I don't fault her for anything.

Interesting that even though he was married before he married her and married again after he married her, she is the one he lived and died with.

Lynne my big question is if he were so busy doing government?,  whatever how did he have time to marry yet again and have another little boy and send them money.  How on earth did he ever have peace???!!! lol  He was so busy with marrying and having kids how did he have time to work?

Honored Contributor

This is a long shot, but I wonder if it  is somehow he was connected with Guy Burgess. I think, he was a double agent, and highly placed in the British Gov

He defected to Russia some where in the 1960s, and really  gave the Brits a terrible scare, because he leaked all sorts of things for a couple of decades, I think. That would have place him in the 1940s

Honored Contributor

Is the actress Ruth Wilson related to the title character?.I just watched the last 20 minutes of it today and about five minutes yesterday so I really don’t know what is going on

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Is the actress Ruth Wilson related to the title character?.I just watched the last 20 minutes of it today and about five minutes yesterday so I really don’t know what is going on

She is playing the role of her grand motherSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

She seemed to have no empathy for his other wives and was somewhat angry toward them. It wasn't their fault any more than it was hers. Her mother was right about him.

Respected Contributor
@occasionalrain
Agree with what you said. That is why I cannot understand why she seemed to blame herself. Perhaps she blamed herself for not detecting what was going on years before.

As a side note, this took place during years when there seemed to be more respect for morals then many have in the current era.
Honored Contributor

To answer the OP's original question, I think she became a nun!  I don't know much about the Catholic religion and if she was allowed to since she had been married and had children, but it was my understanding that she was married to God!

Honored Contributor

I don't know she actually became a nun. I think she entered the convent as a lay woman, and lived a life of contemplation

I know of another woman that did this.  She wasn't know as Sister  , as far as I could tell. 

I am not 100 % sure about this. I would need to know the order she entered ,and a bit more about this

I know of a lady, who lived among the nuns, in a convent, and never became a Religious, herself. However ,she was pious and celibate

She did get a  ring, so, I am sure she took vows of some sort.