Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I stumbled upon this show during part one and I was hooked from the beginning.  I would like to watch the whole thing again.  I was very happy to see that Mrs. Wilson found peace after trying to fit all those pieces together, especially when she never had all the pieces.  It was sad when she thought she had it all figured out and she believed that he truly loved her and her sons then BAM that little boy shows up WOW!!!.  That sent her over the edge.  Happy she found peace within the church.  It was almost like she became a Nun.  

Mr. Wilson was very complicated. I do believe some of his life was true.  He was involved in government stuff and who knows what else.  However he did have a vivid imagination.  His decision to marry multiple times is the big mystery.  That one flash back when they were at the train station he asked her to wait 2 minutes and then follow him and the camera flashed at him walking with a woman.  Was that a wife? or was it someone giving him messages.  

I did enjoy seeing all the Wilson family at the end.  Especially the surviving children.  That was a nice touch.

I agree about the multiple wives.

That was his handler.

Respected Contributor

I cannot begin to imagine the agony, doubt, confusion and horror of being married to a man for over 20 years and to then discover your life as you knew it was a lie.  She tried to protect her children's image of their father even though they were adults.  She tried to safeguard them for a long as she could and then wrote her memoir of what knowledge she had for them to understand.  Her second memoir was opened upon her death and it was her life and her reasons for her faith and for the life she chose to live in later years.  She made sure her sons were supplied with a cushion when she sold the house she no longer had any need for.

Her choice in later life to live a contemplative life inside the convent walls was what gave her peace and she found comfort within her faith, it did not mean she abandoned her children or grandchildren.  Ruth Wilson has stated that she had a strong relationship with her grandmother.

I am happy for Alison to have reached and achieved peace after so long a struggle.

Valued Contributor

I did not find Alison to be any better a person than Alex.  She was hoping to maintain Alex's lies to her grown sons until she was "found out" because the older son in the Navy started his own inquiries.  It doesn't appear from the series that she reached out at all to the legal wife (or the fourth woman) with any compassion, only talking to the mistress Alex met in India to gain informaton.  And it appears from the series summary, that after being told by the priest it was time to tell all to her sons regarding the other families, she entered the convent in 1967 with an apparently clear conscience after typing a letter to them and then sealing it for close to 40 years until after her death.  The screen narrative indicated she died in 2005 and all the sons were finally able to connect in 2007.  How lucky for them that all were still living.  She seemed very selfish and self-centered to me; holier than thou.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mrs. Wilson last night

[ Edited ]

@lynne6was7  I don't know how she was selfish.  She didn't understand things; how could she explain it to her children?  Give them what she thought, then find out it was wrong and tell them something else?

My heart broke for her when the last (?) "wife" showed up.  I thought she was a very strong woman.  I don't know that I'd be as strong under the same circumstances.

I'm glad she found peace.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor
I don’t understand why she seemed to punish herself for the fact that he was married to three other women and who knows how many mistresses he may have had. Glad that all the children, as far as we know, were able to accept one another, don’t know that I would have been able to do that. I would like to watch again, wish I would have recorded it. Not going to pay to watch though. It was interesting to see all of his descendants at the end.

Does anyone else wonder how he could have afforded to support all those families he had?
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Does anyone else wonder how he could have afforded to support all those families he had?

From the books he wrote.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@so so wrote:

that was a terrific show.....i fell asleep before last nights episoce so i'm hoping i can find it on Hulu.

@so so   try pbs.org to stream last episode.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I cannot begin to imagine the agony, doubt, confusion and horror of being married to a man for over 20 years and to then discover your life as you knew it was a lie.  She tried to protect her children's image of their father even though they were adults.  She tried to safeguard them for a long as she could and then wrote her memoir of what knowledge she had for them to understand.  Her second memoir was opened upon her death and it was her life and her reasons for her faith and for the life she chose to live in later years.  She made sure her sons were supplied with a cushion when she sold the house she no longer had any need for.

Her choice in later life to live a contemplative life inside the convent walls was what gave her peace and she found comfort within her faith, it did not mean she abandoned her children or grandchildren.  Ruth Wilson has stated that she had a strong relationship with her grandmother.

I am happy for Alison to have reached and achieved peace after so long a struggle.

I totally agree with you.  I am so happy she found peace and happiness.  Not only did she go through things with her husband while he was alive ( him being arrested and disappearing etc..) she also had to deal with all this stuff after his death..  I do not feel she abandoned her family.  She sold her home and split the money between her sons so they could raise their kids in a stable home.  She was obviously full of love for them.  I believe they were happy because she was finally happy.

Valued Contributor
@esmerelda, she was selfish because she knew her sons had half-siblings even before Alex's funeral and she kept it from them - not just while she was trying to find answers, but from 1962 until after her death in 2005! They didn't connect until 2007. One or more of them could have died during that time period without ever knowing. She took that choice away from her sons. She was self-centered because she could see only herself, and maybe her sons, as the victim. There were at least four families injured by Alex's actions.
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I stumbled upon this show during part one and I was hooked from the beginning.  I would like to watch the whole thing again.  I was very happy to see that Mrs. Wilson found peace after trying to fit all those pieces together, especially when she never had all the pieces.  It was sad when she thought she had it all figured out and she believed that he truly loved her and her sons then BAM that little boy shows up WOW!!!.  That sent her over the edge.  Happy she found peace within the church.  It was almost like she became a Nun.  

Mr. Wilson was very complicated. I do believe some of his life was true.  He was involved in government stuff and who knows what else.  However he did have a vivid imagination.  His decision to marry multiple times is the big mystery.  That one flash back when they were at the train station he asked her to wait 2 minutes and then follow him and the camera flashed at him walking with a woman.  Was that a wife? or was it someone giving him messages.  

I did enjoy seeing all the Wilson family at the end.  Especially the surviving children.  That was a nice touch.

I agree about the multiple wives.

That was his handler.

Thanks Harpa.  I do need to watch all three parts againSmiley Happy