Honored Contributor

Re: Mrs. Wilson - Last night!

The first two episodes were excellent.  I had planned to stop after Episode 1, and save Episode 2 for the next day, but I couldn't stop watching.

Esteemed Contributor

I had it on dvr and watched both episodes last night.  Excellent.  One thing that I came away with is that the priest knew and participated in a bogus marriage.  Did anyone else sense that?

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

One thing that I came away with is that the priest knew and participated in a bogus marriage.  Did anyone else sense that?

I believe that scene was fictional for dramatic effect.  If not, then I believe the priest was duped as Alex would have presented himself as  "divorced" and/or never married.

As I mentioned in another thread on this subject, BBC showed this documentary back in January before PBS Masterpiece picked it up for US viewers.  BBC interviewed a few of the "other" Wilson families.  

Spoiler
The "family" suspects there are other wives & children in India, Germany & throughout Europe that Alexander collected under his deep undercover "spy" years & used various aliases. The name "Wilson" was not used.   Part of the reason why his MI-5 & 6 records are sealed to protect their security.  MI-5 & 6 knows his "birth name."  Alex used Wilson as his "last" name but a different first name when he had the "families" shown in the mini series.  I forgot the first name he used w/#1 wify.  It's possible his real first name????  Know one knows.  He wrote many books under various aliases too.

Highly recommend that you Wiki Alexander Wilson

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  I was just talking with a friend over lunch about the program.  I do believe that the priest, unfortunately, was part of this because a divorced Catholic cannot get married in the church, unless something has changed (I am not much of one any more and don't keep up).  At that time, it would not happen.  My friend also watched the preview for the next episode and he thought there would be a fourth family.  I will definitely look him up on Wiki.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Mz iMac  I was just talking with a friend over lunch about the program.  I do believe that the priest, unfortunately, was part of this because a divorced Catholic cannot get married in the church, unless something has changed (I am not much of one any more and don't keep up).  At that time, it would not happen.  My friend also watched the preview for the next episode and he thought there would be a fourth family.  I will definitely look him up on Wiki.

I got the impression that the second marriage was Church of England and not Catholic.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl   A divorced Catholic can be married in the Catholic Church as long as any previous marriage was not in the Catholic Church.  If you were married in the Catholic Church and then divorced, you cannot marry, again, in the Catholic Church unless your previous spouse has died.  If a divorced Catholic obtains an Annulment after divorcing and it is granted, then they can be married in the Catholic Church.

Honored Contributor

Yes they can @Somertime  they must get an annulment through the church, first. It is inexpensive ,and takes  a few months to complete

Respected Contributor

@cherry   Depending on your diocese, they can be very difficult to obtain.  Some dioceses are more difficult than others.  But the statement was regarding a divorced Catholic, not an Annulment.  I will adjust my statement to reflect that.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how difficult they are to obtain  , my daughter had one, and she had no problems, but ,every case is different ,I suppose