Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Heard that the supremely-talented Uzo Aduba is a shoo-in to receive an Emmy nom for playing Shirley Chisholm.

@feline groovy - I too think she's an amazing actress. I'll watch anything she's in. She was fantastic in OITNB as Suzanne! (I had trouble getting through parts of that series, but I enjoyed the acting!) 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom :  agree; OITNB was my first exposure to her excellence!. She's also a wonderful human being.

Respected Contributor

I think this show is interesting.   I've reached the part where gloria steimen is wearing the sides of her glasses under her hair instead of over her hair.   over the hair was just too annoying who else did that?

Trusted Contributor

I just started watching this series yesterday. I watched the first 6 episodes.

I am hooked. I was 13 in 1972 and have to this day not heard of Phyllis Schalfly. I like to think I stay up on current events and women's issues. 

I did not like all the false information she would state as to why she and the others were opposed to the ERA. I also do not understand why she would be opposed as she wanted to go to law school and the work she was doing was taking her outside of the home. I know times were different and some do not like change. 

I think the acting is great. Tracy Ullman as Betty Friedan is amazing, Uzo Aduba as Shirley Chisholm great. Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem also great right down the the hair and the glasses. 

I am looking forward to finishing the series tonight.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Mrs. America

[ Edited ]

Just started watching this on HULU (as I got the black Friday deal and decided to watch shows I had been wanting to see.)

While I never liked Schlafly, it's certainly interesting how the things she predicted would happen if the ERA passed happened without the ERA - women losing custody and paying alimony and child support, women in combat (along with the likelihood that if the draft ever replaces the volunteer force, women will be called alongside the men), co-ed dorms, unisex bathrooms, etc.  Also interesting that today (unlike then when the feminists said those things would never happen),  many would argue that those are all good things.  

What was  sad - and probably very real - was how the major players gave up what they really cared about so often - going along with the men in order to hopefully get some support (not to mention power) - even selling out other women - and then finding out they'd been played by the men yet again.