Honored Contributor

Re: Mr Selfridge...."bye Jimmy....."

My sister read the book. By the time Selfridge acquired the Whitely store he was in his 70's and Jimmy killed himself by drinking prussic acid.

Boy, that sure is not what the series is showing. Jeremy Piven looks to be maybe 50 and Jimmy flung himself off the bridge.

Trusted Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

I was disappointed as the show wasn't shown in my area last night.

Hilo,  You may be interested to know that PBS is showing that episode (among others) on their website until 5/29... it's Mr. Selfridge, Season 4:  Episode 8

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/full-episodes/mr-selfridge-season-4-episode-8/

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I was able to catch up on an episode I missed while on vacation by watching it on my Roku box on PBS

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie, Jimmie knew there were unpaid invoices before they acquired the new store but he didn't tell Harry.  Then, because the companies wouldn't send stock he took stock from Selfridges that was for the celebration a very few days ahead.

Honored Contributor

Mr. Crabb would had figured all that mess out way early. Only one with any sense. Selfridge never paid any attention to him and that was his downfall

Frequent Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

My sister read the book. By the time Selfridge acquired the Whitely store he was in his 70's and Jimmy killed himself by drinking prussic acid.

Boy, that sure is not what the series is showing. Jeremy Piven looks to be maybe 50 and Jimmy flung himself off the bridge.

I can't find anything online that says Jimmy was a real person. Do you mean Lindy Woodhead's book? I think Jimmy Dillon was one of the fictional characters added to the show?

Honored Contributor

yeah, that's the one she read.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I feel that Harry Selfridge was a complex person, and that is what makes his story compelling.  He was a visionary and a risk taker, but he also had his frailties.

His grandson died only a few years ago and was a scientist involved with artificial intelligence.  I am glad the original store remains a London mainstay on Oxford St.

I posted previously that my son was in London last year, and just for me he made a trip to the store and took a little video of the exterior and the entrance.  It is still a beautiful store and thankfully still bears the name Selfridge's.

Honored Contributor

I was in England few yrs. ago and don't remember seeing it.

I went to Harrod's and Marks and Spencers. Must not been on the right St. or something.