Valued Contributor

Mr Robot premiere, Wednesday, 10pm eastern USA

Annabelle, this is your reminder!!

On the recommendations of other posters, I watched it On-Demand.  It's very good.  Plus, beautiful shots of NYC, with the Freedom Tower shown several times.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mr Robot premiere, Wednesday, 10pm eastern USA

Wow!  Thanks 2cockers1cat!  I'm going to watch it ON DEMAND too.  It's 3:30PM Eastern time.  I have to hurry to fit it in.  Ha!  I'm watching TMZ right now.  So many shows, so little time!  Ha!

I hope it doesn't involve a lot of computer lingo like that CSI computer cyber show.  I never knew what the heck was going on. 

I have a weird crush (grandma crush) on this young guy.  He looks a little like a bug to me and I sure can't understand it.  Maybe because it's been almost 11 years since my husband died and just about every male looks a little good to me.......whoa!  I'm still not attracted to Honey Boo Boo's husband.....Hold on there now!

My late husband (I swear to you) looked like Kurt Russell when he was younger) so I find this attraction weird.  OK, this IS a grandma crush, so it's not the same.

Phew!  i'll check back tonight.  Also don't forget right after this on USA comes SUITS at 10:00PM Eastern time.

Now Harvey is mighty fine to look at.  He's a little 'pretty' for me, but .......now....I'm still attracted to the buggy looking guy.....Help me!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
Elloit is mentally ill and a morphine addict.  We are never sure if we are in his real life, or a delusion he is sharing with an imaginary presence.  Or maybe he is in a therapy session, talking to his analyst.

I did not find the programming-speak an impediment to understanding the events.  It is a very promising launch. 

Random thoughts:

Mr Robot is not the main character in the pilot episode.  Why does he get the eponymous title?

Did you watch St Elsewhere in the '80's?  That series ended with the implication that everything happened in the closed world of Tommy, an autistic child.

Or Life on Mars on ABC a few years ago?  In that story, the events were in the minds of astronauts in stasis, on their way to Mars.

Valued Contributor

I am looking forward to watching this show.  Thanks for the heads up.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads-up 2- cockers  Hummm....I don't care for shows where I have to wonder what is or isn't real.

Yes I watched St Elsewhere but I don't remember that ending.  

Here is something I've learned since talking to and observing my 2 married daughters.  I never thought much about it until I asked them about various TV shows and they kept saying, "Mom, I don't watch much TV.  By the time evening comes all I can think about is going to bed!:  Ha!

I was a stay at home mom (like my daughters are) but by the time evening came, well, I was ready for bed.  My late husband had the changer and it worked for us because we watched the same shows.  I don't remember many shows past 9:00PM!  (I'm smiling).

Now I'm bummed out.  I'm not blaming you 2-cockers....just saying I'm grateful so I don't discover it later.

I kinda feel like I did when in college my professor stood in front of the class and said my favorite poem by Robert Frost, "Stopping By the Woods On a Snowy Evening" was actually about a guy contemplating suicide!  Good grief!  I always thought it was so romantic the way he loved the snow, etc.!

I'm kidding with you about my devastation about the TV show (not about the poem).

You rock 2-Cockers!

Valued Contributor

"Stopping by Woods"----Winter and references to sleep are often metaphors for death.  However, I think your professor's determination to interpret sucide is disconcerting.  This is about getting on with life and responsibilities after a few moments of contemplation.  Finding beauty in solitude and stillness is a way to refresh one's soul.

BA English, OSU, 1971

Esteemed Contributor

I know what you mean about Frost...I loved him but took a course Psychlogical Profiles in Literature. It sufficed for my double major, psych. and English. Our professor viewed Frost and his attitudes as desolate and hopeless due to his lack of faith. My professor actually met Frost and said he was quite mean and unpleasant. That killed it for me with his poetry. I just thought he shared my love of a snowy landscape...who knew?
Honored Contributor

Greenhouse, do you think this Professor was projecting his ideas and the vibrations he (personally) got from Frost on to you students?

I never went to college to get a degree, I went to enrich my mind.  I was in my 50's and 60's and loved being around the young people.  My Professor was an excellent, thought provoking teacher, who, for the most part didn't project her ideas and insecurities onto me.

I like that.  I never was there to learn to think like her.  I'd long ago formed my opinions of the world but was eager to be brought more into the world as it was then (I'm almost 70).

I became the Editor (one of several) and wrote many articles for the paper.  Everything helped me grow as a person (something I still strive for).

That's why I was so floored when this young Professor stood thee and told me that.  I became pretty good friends with the Professor, but always resented that she felt the need to explain her ideas on things.

Are all or most Professors like that?  According to my daughters who went to Radford University (Virginia), University of Va and Georgetown University (Washington, DC) many of the Professors are like that.  I find that apalling.  College is a time when a young person should be finding out answers themselves, not ideas being spoon fed to them.

Valued Contributor

I had a TA who relentlessly insisted every poem's deeper meaning was "Death", anticipating it, yearning to die, craving the relief of "nothingness".  "The Road Not Taken" had to be interpreted in light of the choices Vietnam forced on men.  Or, alternatively, seen as regrettfully choosing life over suicide.  College was a very nihilist place.  

In a Psych course, the prof was a pacer who delighted in random acts of cruelty, suddenly whirling, jabbing a finger in someone's face and yelling epithets.  Then the singled out individual had to explain his/her emotional reactions to the one-sided confrontation.  One day I told him he was transferring his unexpressed hostility for a superior individual onto me.  

Esteemed Contributor

Well, the course was taught by two professors, both PH.ds., one in English and one a psychologist. They both looked at his poetry in a different way. The topic of the final paper was to look at the works of a writer/poet in terms of a particular school of thought. I chose Frost/Freud. I too returned to school later as I was a nurse but wanted to go in a different direction....I wrote a paper which was read in an honors colloquium before graduation....I didn't quite lean toward the view about atheism affecting his works...more about change and challenges. So I can't say either professors forced his viewpoint on me...but, I could no longer look at Frost with simple meanings; he has many themes running through his poetry and what seems simple is quite complex, IMO