Valued Contributor

Re: Movies - favorite aspects?

@GingerPeach wrote:

We love movies for their stories.  As human beings, we are storytellers, and movies/films are one means to present a good story.

I find myself focusing on other aspects in addition to the story.  I am in love with gorgeous homes and beautiful clothing seen in movies.  Sometimes those things are, to me, as memorable as the story itself.

What do you all find most arresting or memorable or eye-catching in a film?

(And, of course, it certainly would depend on the kind of subject matter the film was about.)

For example, I just watched 1944's Woman in the Window, and loved the beautiful clothes and gorgeous apartment of its star, Joan Bennett, even more than the storyline.   Greek key fireplace!  And she's wearing the most flowy palazzo pants and one of those fabulous forties blouses.

And then there are the Nancy Meyers films that are known for their amazing homes and decor.  Love these windows.  So perfect for that scene with rain pouring down.

---

I agree with the bolded (by me) portion. I love the fashions of the 1930s and 1940s, and some of the women's hats make me wonder if any of my family had ever worn something like that.

Since my favorite period genre of movies is the World War II era, the ambiance created by the filmmakers, with regard to how people are going about their lives in a world at war is of particular interest to me. I know that is kind of vague, but I know what it means to me.

Honored Contributor

What a GREAT Dennis Morgan story, @Highlands72!   I wonder if your bank guy gets teased about his name much?  I'd love to think others (besides us classic movie lovers) would get the reference...

Honored Contributor

In case anybody needs a visual reference, here he is, signature and everything:

Image result for dennis morgan

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.