Honored Contributor

Re: Movie stars of the past in gorgeous styles

I'm glad I wasn't the only one in the mood today for movie stars from those years, @Goldengate8361  Thank you for letting me know.

Since you like Katherine Hepburn, I bet you know how to make her famous brownies!  She made those with attitude, too.  Her instructions include the words, "beat like mad"!!  Amazing woman.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincesswrote:

All of them are beautiful women. Hedy is stunning; I’ve only seen her as an older women. Of course you can’t go wrong with Olivia. And I don’t think I’ve seen Jean Harlow in a movie.

When I was young, it was said by many that I looked like Jean Harlow.  Read the book "Today is Tonight," never wanted to see her movies because I liked her writing.  I thought I knew more about her by reading her thoughts.  I don't know if I looked like her or not.  We all see ourselves different from the way others see us.  I might not have looked like her --- I don't know but my writing is of a similar passion as hers when I write from the heart, not the mind.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametodaywrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

All of them are beautiful women. Hedy is stunning; I’ve only seen her as an older women. Of course you can’t go wrong with Olivia. And I don’t think I’ve seen Jean Harlow in a movie.

When I was young, it was said by many that I looked like Jean Harlow.  Read the book "Today is Tonight," never wanted to see her movies because I liked her writing.  I thought I knew more about her by reading her thoughts.  I don't know if I looked like her or not.  We all see ourselves different from the way other see us.  I might not have looked like her --- I don't know but my writing is of a similar pasion as hers when I write from the heart, not the mind.

I’d say that’s an awesome compliment. Must hold true if more than one person told you. I’d like to read her book — didn’t know she’s a writer too. Thanks for the information. I love learning about these ladies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeachwrote:

Hedy Lamarr, 1941, Come Live With Me. 

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, which used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.

Although the US Navy did not adopt the technology until the 1960s, the principles of their work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA, and Bluetooth technology and this work led to their induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014. (from CodePen dot io)

1940s fashion

At first I thought that was Vivian Leigh. Doesn't she look somewhat like her?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I

I've been told I look like Angela Lansbury by several people. That is when she was young. She is now in her 90's. 

Honored Contributor

@Leenywrote:

I

I've been told I look like Angela Lansbury by several people. That is when she was young. She is now in her 90's. 

That’s an awesome compliment too. She’s a beautiful young lady.

Respected Contributor

Thank You @OKPrincess

@OKPrincesswrote:

@Leenywrote:

I

That’s an awesome compliment too. She’s a beautiful young lady.

Honored Contributor

@on the baywrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

Hedy Lamarr, 1941, Come Live With Me. 

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, which used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.

Although the US Navy did not adopt the technology until the 1960s, the principles of their work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA, and Bluetooth technology and this work led to their induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014. (from CodePen dot io)

1940s fashion

At first I thought that was Vivian Leigh. Doesn't she look somewhat like her?

Here’s a young Vivian Leigh

8B18C7C3-B4FD-412D-8FCF-DD1975DC20BC.jpeg

Valued Contributor

I have a page on Facebook that I get posts from - "When Hollywood was Golden" - it does remembrances of filmstars including their films, children, marriages, cause of death and where they were buried. 

One of the ones that came up today was for Peter Graves from Mission Impossible.......who also was the younger brother of James Arness (Marshall Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke).

Esteemed Contributor

I always loved Elizabeth Taylor...

eliz.jpg