Honored Contributor

Since there are no theaters open for movies to premiere in wide release, do anyone think moives will go directly to on demand

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I asked friends the same question. The studios should start putting them on demand. I would pay more for a new good movie 

Esteemed Contributor

Where we are we have Cox cable and we have many new movies on Demand now.

We do have to pay for them and they are pretty expensive so we are not really taking advantage of it.  We also have prime and netflix so we're just sticking with those options.

Honored Contributor

I heard that instead of releasing them to theaters, they will release them to streaming services.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

amc is already streaming theater releases although so far the prices are steep.

Super Contributor

I got an email from Xfinity a while back saying new releases are available On Demand starting with the date they were slated to open in theaters.  I really haven't looked though to see what's available. 

Respected Contributor

The new ‘Emma’ is on demand but at $19.99 more than we’d pay at cinema.  I will wait see if it comes down in price!

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   There are three new release movies On Demand now.  Emma, The Hunt and The Invisible Man.  If you have an Xfinity voice remote, just say Xfinity Movie Premieres.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

In my area, they have already. I saw an advertisement for The Invisible Man, which was supposed to be released to theatres, but it is On Demand for 19.99. There are some others listed as well. 

Esteemed Contributor
Most of the big named movies are being moved to later in the year/next year. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the “smaller” films go straight to On Demand. For example, Trolls World Tour is keeping its release date and going straight to On Demand for $19.99. The Lovebirds was supposed to be released, but it was just as everything started closing. I read it was moved to Netflix (I wanted to see that, so I really should check that out.)

Most of the movies mentioned on this thread had been in the theaters, if only for a week or two. I haven’t seen the numbers, but wonder if they are doing better than they would have otherwise done in theaters.