Esteemed Contributor

Went to see this film yesterday. It is lengthy (2-1/2 hours) but the costumes and scenery were charming. Mr. Turner was an English artist at the time of juries and guilds. This is an attempt to let his admirers or those who enjoy his art to view the later part of his life. I tnk it is more for those who know and appreciate painters of the past.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Thanks for that,

I read about the movie during the year and forgot about til now

Super Contributor

Saw a wonderful exhibit of his works at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem Massachusetts this Summer. Always have been a fan of his seascapes and nautical works but was equally dazzled by his later more abstract ones and his landscapes.

Will have to check out the movie. Hadn't heard about it. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

You will probably both enjoy the film. It does its best to capture the energy and the feelings of the time.

Regular Contributor

I've been waiting to purchase the DVD. Right now it's not available in US format.

Esteemed Contributor

error

Honored Contributor

So, so entertaining and excellent... really appealed to me!

Apparently this producer (Michael Leigh?) is well-known for producing interesting biographies that leave the viewer wanting more..... at least that is what I read. I did want this character to go on and on... and then I wanted to know more.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

LovesToTeach - I wondered a thing or two as well. Like what was going on with his housekeeper - I think she really loved him but later learned he had married another.

Super Contributor

Looking forward to seeing it.

I have a crush on Timothy Spall....he has the most expressive eyes. He's been in several Mike Leigh films, "Secrets & Lies", "All or Nothing". Plays the common working bloke so sympathetically, you just want to give him a hug. (perhaps not in the Mr. Turner role, though)

Honored Contributor

This movie got me started with Ancestry research... I'm hooked! There is a 36 page pdf explanation of Mr. Turner's life... they have done so much research I'm surprised! In doing my research, it is because my grandmother was a Lott (of Willy Lott of Constable fame) and I found out that all of these artists lived near each other and were neighbors of each others' FARMS!!! Isn't this a hoot? These people were quite the characters!

My ancestry family tree research is like reading a good book of those times... now I know and understand why people might enjoy this type of research!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~