Esteemed Contributor

Saw this movie last week with my usual group of lady friends. Stars Julianne Moore and is the perfect vehicle to show off her fabulous acting abilities. She plays a middle aged divorced woman with grown children and loves to go out to clubs dancing to disco music. One night out she meets a man and the story follows their romance, it's ups & downs. We all enjoyed it and the music was great fun. One of the ladies said it's a remake of a movie called just plain "Gloria" which none of us had ever seen. It was worth the ticket just to see her acting and to hear the music. 

Respected Contributor

If I am remembering the correct movie the original movie was in Spanish with English subtitles. 

I agree with you about Julianne Moore.  I think she is very underated as an actress.

I really like her and Diane Lane.  I think they are very good actresses who don't get the roles they deserve.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl   Thanks for your review.  I've been wanting to see this but haven't yet.  

Isn't the guy she meets John Turturro?  I love him.....in anything!  He's always great.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@shaggygirl   Thanks for your review.  I've been wanting to see this but haven't yet.  

Isn't the guy she meets John Turturro?  I love him.....in anything!  He's always great.

Yes, that's who it is! I found him to be a rather odd choice as a romantic interest. Maybe it was just the role he played in this movie that made me feel that way. Actually I had no clue who he was but the 4 other ladies I was with were all familiar with him from other roles and all said they've always liked him.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Yes, that's who it is! I found him to be a rather odd choice as a romantic interest. Maybe it was just the role he played in this movie that made me feel that way. Actually I had no clue who he was but the 4 other ladies I was with were all familiar with him from other roles and all said they've always liked him.

@shaggygirl    I completely agree  In fact, when I first read about that film, I thought he would play the husband part!  Among other things, he has been in Joel and Ethan Coen brothers' movies, but my favorite role of his was his Emmy-winning performance as Monk's brother in the TV show Monk.  I always watch those episodes when they repeat just for his performance.  He was absolutely perfect as Adrian Monk's brother Ambrose.  I did love him too in the Coen's film The Big Lebowski.

Honored Contributor

Re: Movie "Gloria Bell"

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@shaggygirl    I completely agree  In fact, when I first read about that film, I thought he would play the husband part!  Among other things, he has been in Joel and Ethan Coen brothers' movies, but my favorite role of his was his Emmy-winning performance as Monk's brother in the TV show Monk.  I always watch those episodes when they repeat just for his performance.  He was absolutely perfect as Adrian Monk's brother Ambrose.  I did love him too in the Coen's film The Big Lebowski.

@Pearlee    I thought of you when I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago because I know the Monk episodes which feature John are some of your faves as they are mine. When you see the movie, you will agree that casting him in the role of Gloria Bell's love interest was the right one for him. He is brilliant as he tries to balance being a significant other to one woman with being a caring ex-husband and father to three other women.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.