Trusted Contributor

Re: Movie - a man called Otto

@software @cjm61  It is kind of a quirky movie. But I came away with a maybe a different meaning of the story than perhaps you did, especially if you did not see it entirely. I do not think they were trying to make the suicide attempts humourous. I think what they wanted people to see was this bitter sad grumpy old man who had experinced a trgedy in his life. He delat with it by being difficult with other people and being unhappy. But when he accepted the kindness of others and then reached out to others to help them, by helping the older couple not lose their home, and by helping the young family with children, he found some joy in helping others and could look past his unhappiness. He experienced the love and warmth of friends and extended family. It was not my favorite movie he has ever played in but it did have a story to tell.

Respected Contributor

I watched it last night and wish I had not.  I think it was a good movie but too depressing.  Real life has enough unhappy endings and sadness so I don't want to watch a movie that is sad.  I guess the only part that was uplifting and gave a message was the neighbor being nice to someone even though they are not nice back.  You never know what makes a person act the way they do or what they have been through so just keep being nice and not judgemental....

Respected Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@software @cjm61  It is kind of a quirky movie. But I came away with a maybe a different meaning of the story than perhaps you did, especially if you did not see it entirely. I do not think they were trying to make the suicide attempts humourous. I think what they wanted people to see was this bitter sad grumpy old man who had experinced a trgedy in his life. He delat with it by being difficult with other people and being unhappy. But when he accepted the kindness of others and then reached out to others to help them, by helping the older couple not lose their home, and by helping the young family with children, he found some joy in helping others and could look past his unhappiness. He experienced the love and warmth of friends and extended family. It was not my favorite movie he has ever played in but it did have a story to tell.

@webbgarner1  I agree with your synopsis. DH and I enjoyed it. I especially liked Marisol and the neighborly love she showed which helped Otto live the rest of his life which enhanced others lives. We had tears in our eyes when he brought his baby's cradle for her newborn. I loved the scene where the nurse told Marisol he had an extra large heart and she could not stop laughing then went into labor.

Honored Contributor

As I stated in a previous thread, this movie was similar to Clint Eastwood's Grand Torino movie. 

I enjoyed the movie, but guessed what would happen next.  The plot was not surprising...grumpy man who lost wife befriended by neighbors and ends up saving them and sacrificing himself.  

Esteemed Contributor

@webbgarner1 , I agree with your view of the movie.

It's surprising to me that anyone could watch this movie, especially in it's entirety, and end up with such a dark view of such an uplifting, life-affirming, love story but it does explain why some didn't enjoy it while others did. I guess it just goes to show how differently people see things.

The movie is a comedy-drama. Parts of it are very funny while other parts--the attempts at suicide--were never meant to be funny and, in fact, quite the opposite.

After the death of his beloved wife, Otto feels like he has outlived his purpose and tries unsuccessfully to end it all. Imo, the suicide attempts serve at least two purposes in the movie. The first is show how grief can cause people to sink into such deep depression they don't think clearly. The second is to show that this man who is extremely capable, yet continues to fail at something so simple, is the universe's way of telling him it's not meant to be. Not to mention there was nothing gory or gross about any of it.

Omg, and then there's Mariana Trevino, the woman who plays Otto's neighbor Marisol. The superb back and forth between these two amazing actors was such a joy to watch and I will be completely surprised if she isn't nominated for an Oscar. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie itself as well as Hanks also get an Oscar nod. The friendship that Marisol practically forces on Otto changes his life and shows him that even when life seems to be at rock bottom there are people and things worth living for. She shows him his purpose is being there for others. It's a message of the importance & need of community especially for those struggling with mental health issues. It can only help for us to be reminded of this whether we're the one in need or the one there to lend a hand because, in the end, it becomes a blessing for all. 

There is so much to love throughout this movie and all the way to its lovely ending. Even the cat was a star! Smiley Happy Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I liked it but it was hard to watch.  Some of those feelings in grief are very real indeed.

Honored Contributor

I know the gist of the movie.

But wasn't aware of the suicide aspect.

Full disclosure, hits too close to home to watch it play out by Hollywood.  This one is not entertainment.

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Honored Contributor

I was lured by the fact it was Tom Hanks.  He is such a great actor and I finally caved in and watched it.  I don't think it was a very interesting movie.  Really low on the list of his movies that I have seen.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin