Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

This movie is so well done.  The acting is amazing.  Although this movie is very disturbing I feel it is one of the best.  The scene when the mom of the boy who died is so well played.  It gets to me every time.  I watched it today.  I have watched it many times.  Patty Mccormick is outstanding as Rhoda.  Have any of you watched this movie?

@sunshine 919   Yes, I have a dvd.  I think Eileen Heckhart was great also.  Great ending.

Honored Contributor

Rhoda lives in the book.

Back then the Hays Code prevented movies from portraying crime in a positive light.

So Rhoda could not get away with murder; she had to be punished, and killing her was the way to show justice.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Movie The Bad Seed

[ Edited ]

I knew what movie this was as soon as I saw the title.  It is one of those memorable ones  about bad kids that sticks with you.  

Isn't there one, "The Children's Hour".  Shirley McLaine and (Breakfast at Tiffanys) name isn't coming to me at this point.  It will.  

Honored Contributor

Doesn't William Hopper play Rhoda's father?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

I haven't watched in a long time , but I remember some about it . I know it made you look carefully at little blonde girls with 'pigtails' .Smiley Surprised I never wanted to watch the remake either. 

Respected Contributor

I watched this movie, it has rob lowe in it!

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

I watched this movie, it has rob lowe in it!

That movie with Lowe was the remake. It's the one I saw, too. I never saw the original movie. @FlowerBear 

Honored Contributor

I have seen the original, as well as a remake done in the 80's, and then the most recent with Rob Lowe...The original was the absolute best, but I think the other 2 were ok...The little girl in the remake with Rob Lowe was really good as well, but no-one compares to the 1st....... 

Honored Contributor

Re: Movie The Bad Seed

[ Edited ]

The movie was good.  But the book that it was based on was even better.  The ending was altered and changed.  A type of censorship.  Someone must always be shown as punished if they commit a crime.  Because it's a child, she can't get away with it.  So in the film the child is punished by God (that's OK) when lighting strikes her.  In the book, the child is unpunished and her innocent mother dies. In the film, it's the opposite of real life.  Lots of times, the guilty go unpunished.  

The new updated version of the Bad Seed (called Baby Teeth) has a younger, smarter Rhoda.  She has a more hip name (Hanna...  and a smarter mom who knows what the little kid is up to.) She gets away with it too. If they make a film out of it, the little Tyke gets a career as a serial killer. 

Respected Contributor

I watched the original many years ago, and for some reason it never really sat with me. Which is probably because as a horror movie fan, I'm used to evil kid movies that were a lot more over-the-top and tried to explain why the kids were so awful. I do appreciate that the movie (I haven't read the book so I'm not sure if this was in it) hinted that Rhoda's behavior might be more nature than nurture, because as we know, there have been real-life bad seeds who had loving parents and a good home life, and there wasn't any actual event that triggered their behavior, it was a personality disorder.

I remember one bad seed clone called Mikey, about a boy that goes from home to home because each time he arrives, mysterious accidents and deaths occur. His new family discover he's a pint-sized serial killer, and he does get away with it at the end and goes to another family. It starred the actor that played the youngest Keaton in Family Ties. It was a TV movie that came out in the mid-late 90's and violent and unsettling for its time, so it never really gets a lot of repeat showings, even though evil kid movies that have been released since then on video, streaming services, or movies, are a lot more disturbing.