Honored Contributor

I read that due to the recent Neverland scandal, the Jacksons and Michael wer deliberately left out for the most part. I also wondered why not he current Four Tops and current Tempts, they are the heart and soul of Motown. 

Berry Gordy looks wonderful for 89, and Ross sang her heart out to him, we all know that they share a daughter that they had in 1971, Rhonda Ross Kendrick. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with a lot of the posters.  I did miss, The Temptations, The Miracles, The four Tops, etc.  I understand that the majority of the originals in those groups are no longer with us but they still tour with the replacements and it would have been fabulous to hear them with the original arrangements and dance routines.

Jennifer Lopez was a mystery to me.  The entire routine was not a Motown routine, was this her idea of an updated version?  If it was, it was lacking, nothing to do with Motown.  Just glitzy body suits and a lot of booty shaking.

During the Motown years, every single group or singer was a professional, it was all about the music and the sound.  They were a pleasure to watch!

I felt bad for Mary Wilson.  The Supreme's were a fabulous group long before it was Diana Ross and The Supremes.  Diana Ross is Diana Ross, nothing has changed.  Definitively, The Diva!  She looked great!

It was a lovely trip down memory lane.  All the songs of my youth.  Loved Motown then as well as today!

Honored Contributor

I too am a fan of Motown music, some great talents emerged from that era without a doubt.

I also loved the doo wop groups and singers of the fifties.  My brother introduced me to that music and I still listen to it.  The Flamingoes, Jackie Wison (who had an operatic voice), The Chantels, The Shirelles, The Moonglows, Little Anthony and the Imperials. the Platters and I could go on and on since there were so many greats.  The harmony, the voices, the talent, all so fantastic.  

The Temptations were my favorites from the Motown era and the original group had it all.  Their voices will not be duplicated as will none of the above.

Music is good for the soul and mind and I salute the Motown sound and all the other greats who came before !!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I completely agree, turned it off after the first hour.

The current talent can't hold a candle to those original Motown artists.

Smokey was very good.    Diana Ross made me uncomfortable, can't she just perform?   All that silly stuff with Barry Gordy was creepy.

I love Stevie, he is a treasure.  Thelma Houston did a great job on her song and she looks incredible.   I don't get John Legend's talent, JLo thought she was at a strip club.   

@Pearlee wrote:

I absolutely love Motown music, so I was somewhat disapointed in this particular show about it.  And OMG - "Little" Stevie Wonder has definitely aged (well, so have I; I remember when he was "Little" Stevie Wonder but he still sounds great - seeing him made me feel old though).

Much as I like Stevie, there was a bit too much of him (esp. when the camera kept cutting to him - whom we'd already seen quite a bit of - during the In Memoriam - I felt like I was missing the photos of those who had died).  I do wish more  Motown performers had performed, and performed hits in their entirety because I love almost all Motown songs.  I was disappointed that D. Ross didn't sing songs from the Supremes (although yes, I realize there were bad feelings among the group members).  And Lopez had too much time - I would rather had had the current groups who perform Four Tops and Temptations hits peform (there is one original member left from each of those groups, and those groups were in my town not too long ago so I know they still exist and perform).  And I agree with @stevieb    there was too much audience participation. I would rather have heard whole numbers rather than that gig where audience members finished the four bars that people recognize.  I liked the 25th Motown anniversary better.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I too am a fan of Motown music, some great talents emerged from that era without a doubt.

I also loved the doo wop groups and singers of the fifties.  My brother introduced me to that music and I still listen to it.  The Flamingoes, Jackie Wison (who had an operatic voice), The Chantels, The Shirelles, The Moonglows, Little Anthony and the Imperials. the Platters and I could go on and on since there were so many greats.  The harmony, the voices, the talent, all so fantastic.  

The Temptations were my favorites from the Motown era and the original group had it all.  Their voices will not be duplicated as will none of the above.

Music is good for the soul and mind and I salute the Motown sound and all the other greats who came before !!!!!!!

The Flamingos! OMgosh, yes. I love them. The way they moved in unison as they sang. I still have "A kiss from your Lips" on a 45". I won't give it up.

Honored Contributor

Re: Motown Tonite Sun. 4/21

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Smokey was very good.    Diana Ross made me uncomfortable, can't she just perform?   All that silly stuff with Barry Gordy was creepy.

I love Stevie, he is a treasure.  Thelma Houston did a great job on her song and she looks incredible.   I don't get John Legend's talent, JLo thought she was at a strip club.   

@software  completely agree with the statement I bolded. I'm not a fan of either of those performers although I do concede they are talented but both are also so overexposed. Personally I saw enough of Ms Lopez during the Emmy Grammy Tribute. Didn't get it then. Don't get it now.

I knew there would not be any Supreme songs featured because Mary Wilson and Diana Ross couldn't put their differences aside to tour together. Mary Wilson does still perform with a group that calls themselves "The Supremes". I turned on the show as the second hour was beginning so I need to go back and watch the first hour. What I did see I enjoyed although I wish Stevie had sang more recent songs rather than his older ones.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Motown Tonite Sun. 4/21

[ Edited ]

Add me to the list who fails to see reason for all the hype about Legend and, as noted above, Lopez... At least he has some talent. Hers is so marginal as to be virtually invisible... The only thing missing from her performance was a stripper pole...

Agree with others who noted Thelma Houston was wonderful... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

LOL@quote.gifLOL@quote.gifLOL@quote.gifLOL@quote.gif

JLo thought she was at a strip club.   

@software  283917.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I absolutely love Motown music, so I was somewhat disapointed in this particular show about it.  And OMG - "Little" Stevie Wonder has definitely aged (well, so have I; I remember when he was "Little" Stevie Wonder but he still sounds great - seeing him made me feel old though).

Much as I like Stevie, there was a bit too much of him (esp. when the camera kept cutting to him - whom we'd already seen quite a bit of - during the In Memoriam - I felt like I was missing the photos of those who had died).  I do wish more  Motown performers had performed, and performed hits in their entirety because I love almost all Motown songs.  I was disappointed that D. Ross didn't sing songs from the Supremes (although yes, I realize there were bad feelings among the group members).  And Lopez had too much time - I would rather had had the current groups who perform Four Tops and Temptations hits peform (there is one original member left from each of those groups, and those groups were in my town not too long ago so I know they still exist and perform).  And I agree with @stevieb    there was too much audience participation. I would rather have heard whole numbers rather than that gig where audience members finished the four bars that people recognize.  I liked the 25th Motown anniversary better.

@software   Glad you agreed with me. But if you turned it off after the first hour, how were you able to comment on Diana Ross's performance?  She was on last! 

Honored Contributor

Judaline !!!!

A Kiss From your Lips on a 45, a treasure for sure!!!!!  I agree!!