Honored Contributor

CBS tonight from 8 to 10 ET, Motown's 60th anniversary!!

Sounds good to me!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Motown Tonite Sun. 4/21

[ Edited ]

Oh, what a wonderful treat!  I was young when they were young; I fell into mad love with that music in the background.  Last night I saw a Time-Life ad with '60s music and with a focus on the Motown sound.  I burst out crying.  Why?  Not really for sorrow, but I realized that my youthful, passionate self was part of an era that occurred so long ago. 

By the by, even though my young and spirited self has faded into memory, my memories are delicious. 

Valued Contributor

Just set my DVR to record. Thanks @Shelbelle 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

CBS tonight from 8 to 10 ET, Motown's 60th anniversary!!

Sounds good to me!!

I caught some of the previews and think I will record and watch later..Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll watch if I can stay wake.  It's been a long day.  The family's gone.  The girls cleaned the dining room and put the food away but I still have the kitchen to clean.  I'll  probably watch it tomorrow on On Demand while I'm working.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I'll watch.  I can't help but think back to Michael Jackson's performance on a Motown special when he introduced us all to 'The Moonwalk' during his Billie Jean performance.  I don't think his performance will ever be topped.

But anyway, the music of Motown will live on forever, and it makes me sad that we've lost some of the greats.  I'm sure the performers tonight who may or may not have been around during the Motown heyday, will do a great job. I do know Smokey and Diana Ross will be there, not sure who else.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I taped it but caught the In Memoriam segment when Stevie wonder sang and they showed the pictures of those that are no longer with us........that was very sad.......so many that can never be duplicated or replaced.

What a history Motown has with all those talented artist.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wasn't going to watch, but there was nothing else on I'd rather see, so tuned it in. There were things I'd have changed, like too many shots of the audience, but overall, it was a really entertaining show. Lots of talent came through Motown.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely love Motown music, so I was somewhat disapointed in this particular show about it.  And OMG - "Little" Stevie Wonder has definitely aged (well, so have I; I remember when he was "Little" Stevie Wonder but he still sounds great - seeing him made me feel old though).

Much as I like Stevie, there was a bit too much of him (esp. when the camera kept cutting to him - whom we'd already seen quite a bit of - during the In Memoriam - I felt like I was missing the photos of those who had died).  I do wish more  Motown performers had performed, and performed hits in their entirety because I love almost all Motown songs.  I was disappointed that D. Ross didn't sing songs from the Supremes (although yes, I realize there were bad feelings among the group members).  And Lopez had too much time - I would rather had had the current groups who perform Four Tops and Temptations hits peform (there is one original member left from each of those groups, and those groups were in my town not too long ago so I know they still exist and perform).  And I agree with @stevieb    there was too much audience participation. I would rather have heard whole numbers rather than that gig where audience members finished the four bars that people recognize.  I liked the 25th Motown anniversary better.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  I'd agree there seemed to be a lot of artists that got shorted and others that commanded a lot of air time... I was expecting to hear a little more about the Temptations and some of the 'girl singers' and 'girl groups', along with several others, and I don't think there was even a mention of Rare Earth, one of the few non-Black groups to record for Motown... Precious little about Michael Jackson, with more of an emphasis on the Jackson Five, I guess for obvious reasons... Was surprised Ross didn't do at least one Supremes number, but yes, I guess there is still bad blood... Lopez was superfluous, as she usually is... The woman's seemingly major talent involves flashing skin and gyrating, as she's really no singer... Would've rather seen the time allotted to her given to actual Motown acts... Was glad they highlighted Holland-Dozier-Holland, one of the premier song writing teams ever... Still, it was an enjoyable show, I thought...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...