Esteemed Contributor

MotherFatherSon

[ Edited ]

I just discovered this BBC 8 part series over the past week...Apparently, it aired this past Spring, but I hadn't seen or heard anything about it....Richard Gere, Helen McCrory & Bill Howle star in this powerful psychological/ family/political drama series.

After the first episode, I was somewhat disoriented and didn't think that I was going to continue with it....But I decided to stay with it...especially due to the fact that I'm a big fan of Richard Gere...I'm  so glad I did...It got better and better with each episode and everything gradually started coming together...powerfully done and fantastic acting by all...intense and emotional.

If  you want to give it a try, I highly recommend it.

If you have already seen it, I would love to hear your thoughts.

I plan on watching it again just for more clarification on a few things.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

That does sound very good, @MyShadowLove.  I also like Richard Gere-- he never seems to be in enough things!  Is probably selective about what vehicles he chooses...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell ...I think that you would really like it!....Yes, I agree that Richard Gere is very selective in the roles that he takes on...In his return to TV after 30 years, he was impressed and thrilled to be part of this project....However, after completion,  this is what he had to say about filming this 8 part series...

BBC Studios produced the series. This is Richard Gere's first TV role, apart from appearing in Kojak in 1976.

Gere said, "It’s been almost 30 years since I worked in television. I'm so pleased to be working now with the BBC on this extraordinary eight-hour project with such talented people and which resonates so much to the time we live in".

He seemed less enamoured of the project after filming, telling the Radio Times, "It was six months’ shooting, like doing four indie movies back to back but playing the same character. It’s too long. I don’t think I’ll do it again."

Directed by James Kent, filming took place in summer 2018 in London and on location in Spain.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Very interesting.  He's had an enduring career.  That film he made near the beginning, with Lauren Hutton and in which he wore Armani so effectively (ha)--  that had such mystique... 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MotherFatherSon

[ Edited ]

@Oznell ...Oh, yes...American Gigolo....Hmmm, I think that I may just curl up to that movie tonight!...Thanks for the reminder! Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Sexy as hell. No sailor ever looked as good as he did in uniform in An Officer and A Gentleman.

Oh be still my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MotherFatherSon

[ Edited ]

@IMW ....Oh my goodness....Yes, and the ending scene where he marched into the factory and literally swept Debra Winger off her feet!...I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have played that scene over and over and over.Woman Very Happy

Can I tell you a secret and promise you won't tell anyone?...Shhhh!

I had my husband recreate that scene with me but, much to my dismay,  it didn't go as smoothly as it did in the movie...lol  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

And who could forget the gerbils?  O la la

Trusted Contributor

I like his acting as well...I had to get into about 4th episode of it before I was totally hooked.

I hated to read he may not do it again...I binged it quickly and hoped for another season..it has a good story line to build on for a few more season's easily.   Smiley Sad

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Esteemed Contributor

@deja vu ...Yes, I'm disappointed also that this series won't be continuing into another Season, as the ending definitely left it open for an interesting storyline to continue.

After watching the series, I googled to see if there would be another and that is when I found the information that I posted in a previous post about Richard Gere had found it somewhat grueling to play the same character over and over for an 8 hour series...He is so used to doing movies playing various characters, so this was a whole new experience for him.

Many movie stars are crossing over into TV now so, hopefully, he will consider doing more in the future as his fans would definitely like to see more of him! Woman Happy