Esteemed Contributor

Watched 2 movies that he starred in...A Place in the Sun and The Heiress.

He was such a stinker to the women in the story, playing the part very well.

@Oznell Are there any other movies he stared in that he plays a similar part?

Respected Contributor

Not that I recall. I enjoyed his work in "The Young Lions" with Marlon Brando. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Montgomery Clift

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma 

A Place in the Sun is such a depressing movie, although I've seen it many times.  Elizabeth Taylor was beauty beyond words.

She and "Monty" were great friends as I understand.  Seems he had a troubled life and died young, but I don't know much else about him.  He had a bad accident while filming "Raintree County" -- again, with Elizabeth T.   I've seen the movie a few times, but it is not one I care for.

He could play a good soundrel!

Honored Contributor

I think Montgomery Clift passed when he was in his mid forties and his career cut short..  He in my opinion, was very appealing in looks and I loved his acting.  He was in Here to Eternity and the Misfits two greats.

He did play his roles superbly in A Place in the Sun and The Heiress, his characters weren't likable but as an actor that came across and he did his job. In my opinion he made his mark in movies.

Respected Contributor

Both he and James Dean had such sad personas.  At least Clift didn’t mumble as Dean did.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Montgomery Clift

[ Edited ]

The Search is an excellent film, showing a different side of Clift. It’s about a young boy in post WW2 Europe. Clift plays an American soldier. It’s a heartwarming movie.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmm, @Nataliesgramma,  I can't offhand think of any other films where he's so clearly a "cad".   The performances of his that stick in my mind are Hitchcock's "I Confess",   where he's a conscientious priest, struggling to conceal a romantic past with Anne Baxter, and suspected of a murder he didn't commit;   also "Suddenly, Last Summer",   where he is neurotic Elizabeth Taylor's sympathetic psychiatrist;  of course "Red River",  the iconic western where he struggles with and challenges his surrogate "father" John Wayne, against the panoramic West, and "Indiscretion of an American Wife",  a wrenching Italian romance with Jennifer Jones....

Valued Contributor

Great actor!  Discovered him in the 70's while watching Raintree Country.  I really like the movie back then, not sure what my opinion would be now that I'm oIder.  I later bought a book about him.  His life was a struggle.  I must have loaned the book to someone.  I would read it again if I still had it.  I'm a sucker for men with dark hair. Lol  

Trusted Contributor

I fell madly in love with Montgomery Clift when  I was a young girl and saw "From Here to Eternity."  I read every word I could find out about him in all the movie magazines.  I thought he was simply the most gorgeous, gifted and sensitive man in the universe!

Then, that tragic accident happened and he never seemed the same.  His appearance changed markedly and, although they miraculously brought him back to life and he continued his career,  I never swooned over him the way I originally did. 

When he died so young and I read the bio about all his life challenges, it changed my innocent view of him; however, his performance in "From Here to Eternity" will always be my favorite and I'm getting "choked up" just writing these words now...

Honored Contributor

He played a wonderful character in From Here to Eternity, all around good guy who paid the price for it.