Respected Contributor

Another Friday night w/nothing to watch.  I didn't want to watch The Diary of Anne Frank - I've seen it and just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch that again.  So I checked TCM - On Demand and saw 'Monterey Pop' - a somewhat oldie, but goodie, so I decided I'd watch that.

Interesting that at that pop festival (one of the first I think), they set up rows and rows and rows of chairs in an outdoor space for all the audience.  And even tho most everyone was probably high as a kite, the area was left looking quite good after each daily performance.  Surprising? 

Anyway for me, Mama Cass Elliott was always one of my favorite female singers.  She was the lead female vocalist for The Mamas and Papas.  I really njoyed her performances.  Next has got to be Janis Joplin.  She may not be everyone's cup o tea, but my gosh, no one else like her.  After that performance all you can say is WOW!!!

Jimi Hendrix was such a character.  He was in his own world.  Did anyone know he was actually in the Army at one time?  Cat Surprised  He was a standout for me, but at that time, I don't think the audience knew what to think.  I also enjoyed Otis Redding, The Who, Simon n Garfunkle, Jefferson Airplane.  Not a long film - maybe an hour and 20 min.  Worth watching.

Now if only The Last Waltz was on.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Monterey Pop

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Another Friday night w/nothing to watch.  I didn't want to watch The Diary of Anne Frank - I've seen it and just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch that again.  So I checked TCM - On Demand and saw 'Monterey Pop' - a somewhat oldie, but goodie, so I decided I'd watch that.

Interesting that at that pop festival (one of the first I think), they set up rows and rows and rows of chairs in an outdoor space for all the audience.  And even tho most everyone was probably high as a kite, the area was left looking quite good after each daily performance.  Surprising? 

Anyway for me, Mama Cass Elliott was always one of my favorite female singers.  She was the lead female vocalist for The Mamas and Papas.  I really njoyed her performances.  Next has got to be Janis Joplin.  She may not be everyone's cup o tea, but my gosh, no one else like her.  After that performance all you can say is WOW!!!

Jimi Hendrix was such a character.  He was in his own world.  Did anyone know he was actually in the Army at one time?  Cat Surprised  He was a standout for me, but at that time, I don't think the audience knew what to think.  I also enjoyed Otis Redding, The Who, Simon n Garfunkle, Jefferson Airplane.  Not a long film - maybe an hour and 20 min.  Worth watching.

Now if only The Last Waltz was on.

@jellyBEAN  I agree with everything you said. Love them all especially Janis.

The Last Waltz was a a few weeks ago. One of those crazy channels. The Band is one of my favorites. Edited to add, it was on the MGM channel.

Honored Contributor

I have Monterey Pop on my DVR, love everyone in it and the music so great.  I always enjoy these concerts when shown on TV.  

What can I say about the Last Waltz, just an excellent documentary in so many ways, the music throughout excites, you sing along and you feel good!  I thank Scorcese for this one!