Honored Contributor

Re: Monterey Pop Festival on a Turner Classic right now

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I'm sorry all these music documentaries/movies are done with.  They never showed The Last Waltz which is probably my favorite.

I've seen Monterey Pop so many times, but the performances are so outstanding it never disappoints.  Woodstock is a long one, but again, I guess each time one watches it, you can pick out something different and it was such a historical event in baby boomer history.  I was only 11 so I missed out, but I do remember seeing it on the news and hearing about it.

Does make me sad about whats going on today.  However, there was also so much unrest going on at that time w/Vietnam and protests and the various underground groups.  Woodstock was just a brief respite from all the chaos going on around the country.  So as a country have we really changed that much?  We are now all so isolated from one another, afraid to come into any contact w/people we don't know, no more concerts and sporting events or movies or anything.  I'm tired of all this Zoom stuff on TV.  I wonder if things will ever get back to "normal" in my lifetime.  But that's another thread.

@jellyBEAN  I find The Last Waltz on tv sometimes. On a few different channels, of course can't remember which ones. One of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

jellyBEAN

I agree about the Last Waltz, that is one of the best in musical documentaries.  Scorsese did a fantastic job of capturing the Band, their personalities and music.  I could watch The Last Waltz over and over and never tire of it.  It should have been included in the mix .

My sister lived near Woodstockand she and her husband would see members of the Band, Dylan, and others in town at various spots going about their business.  

You are right about the unrest at the time and Woodstock being a change with the hope of peace and love.  We did have a lot of issues and we fought  for rights.  In today's world we are moving backward and need so desperately to go forward to positive healing and peace of mind.

Valued Contributor

@jellyBEAN @Yes, my husband watched it, too. We had seen it before, in the movies and on TV but this one had more more clips and was longer. And, again, he bemoaned the fact that he missed out on the naked girls! He had just turned 17 and was off to college where we met when I entered Feb. 1970!  I didn't go to Woodstock with friends because I had to work. My friends went and were cold,wet, hungry, and miserable!

Ironically, my son bought my husband original Woodstock tickets for is birthday in July!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I caught the Monterey Pop film and marveled at Janis Joplin.  It was fascinating to see that Mama Cass was as astounded by Joplin's genius as much as I was.

As for Woodstock, the summer of '69 was part of my six months in Greece and Italy for healing my bad-marriage-battered spirit.  I missed so much while in Europe, but I was repairing my soul. 

I'll never forget that I was on the Greek island of Aegina when I and my former in-laws were reading the International Herald Tribune at breakfast down by the pier -- with a beautiful sea and sun glorifying our day -- and were horrified to learn what happened to Sharon Tate and her friends.  It felt so far away, all the gore and savagery.  But, we were saddened and alarmed by the murders.

While watching the Monterey festival and seeing all the cavorting in the extraordinarily colorful outfits, I told one of my sons that my generation has no standing to criticize anyone.

We really were an unusual generation, I think.  

ETA:  spider woman, never lose that beautiful spirit you have for equality for all.  For some reason, many of us in our generation never questioned that everyone is entitled to equal rights.  Even those who grew up below the Mason-Dixon Line, like me, and experienced segregation first-hand during our formative years, always felt it just wasn't right.  I know that my parents were part of nurturing my awareness of respect for all, but something else made many of us see that separate opportunity was wrong, just plain wrong.   

Honored Contributor

Goldie76

Your post was well said and I hank you for your reference to my spirit for equality for all.  I have never felt any other way since I was a young girl and in fact am probably more so as an older woman. My long career of working with troubled families and juveniles gave me such insight, it was quite a learning experience to say the least.  I went in as an idealistic young woman and retired with wisdom and knowledge I had to learn and which took me many years.  I wish I had kept a journal.

I am proud of my generation because I fit in as a justice fighter.  For many years my sister who is like me in many ways wondered when the young people would pick up that torch for what is right and just and do something.  They finally did and I would join them if it wasn't physically challenging for me.  I pray for positive change.

Enjoy your day and thanks for the interesting post!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also watched the captivating documentary of Elvis's comeback concert in Las Vegas in August 1970, Elvis: That's the Way It Is.  It captured all my interest -- from start to finish.

Because of the film, I became a bit more interested in the Black female backup group who enriched his background music during these concerts at the then-International Hotel.  The group was called "Sweet Inspirations" and was founded by Whitney Houston's mother, Cissy.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp93GYg_D-Q

THIS IS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT ELVIS:

"When he played the Houston Astrodome in 1970, the management of the Dome made it clear that the black girls were not wanted and they demanded that he cut them out of his act- Elvis furiously blew up at them and told them "If they don't go on, I don't go on!" Elvis demanded that the girls be picked up in a limo and treated with the same respect as him."

Elvis needed to take a stand and he did.  Bless him!