Respected Contributor

I'm not surprised. When it was first announced that Anna Faris was leaving the show, I could almost hear the death knell beginning. 

I love Allison Janney, and the rest of the cast were excellent, but the show just wasn't the same without Anna Faris. I admit her character could be annoying, but the relationship between her and Bonnie was the heart of the show. They played so well off each other.

I only watched two episodes of the new season and I was not impressed. 

Well, at least we had seven good years and hopefully they'll rerun the show for a long time. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

As it truly deserved to be. I so enjoyed the show and saw absolutely no reason why it couldn't succeed without Anna Faris, but apparently the writers just weren't up to the task of retooling, despite a wonderful cast of women. The few times I watched the show this year, it was a night and day experience. The show was trying too hard and not succeeding and the laugh track, previously fully unnecessary, was an embarrassment because almost nothing was funny. Mistake Number 1 was trying to make the show too significantly about Bonnie and her husband when the focus should have been more on the ensemble of women attending AA meetings. A little less of Kristin Johnson's overacting and of the unfunny Andy might have helped too.

I'm with you on the Kristen Johnston character.  I found her profoundly annoying.   I've liked her in the past but I think, and maybe it's just me getting old, that really annoying/obnoxious characters get on my nerves quickly.

Trusted Contributor

@cookinfreak .... You have about 15 PAGES of comments to your "ranting" post. I commented on it, about page 7, saying I'm on your side. How about going on your post and letting us know how things are going at work??

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak  Yes, I remember him from As The World Turns, too!  🌎

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

So Sad.  I enjoyed the way they all have troubles but manage to forge ahead anyway. Wish, as in real life, That things had gone on even though someone wasn't there anymore. 

Trusted Contributor

We will miss the show. Been watching since the beginning. Our favorites were after Kristin Johnson joined the cast. Love her.

Super Contributor

Always enjoyed the show and was sorry to see Anna Faris leave.  However, can anyone tell me what happened to the kids?  They just disappeared, no menion ever made, just gone.  I guess we're supposed to assume the daughter is living with a boyfriend somewhere and the ex-husband has full-custody of the son. The kid actor and actress were simply erased from the cast and pictures removed from the show's intro.

Honored Contributor

while i agree that the show is not as funny w/o Anna -

it is a show I like and hoped they would find their footing

oh wait - CBS need the timeslot for another revamped 80s game show 

Trusted Contributor

I'm sad to hear this show has been canceled. I've watched it from the beginning. This season had it's moments that made me laugh which was much needed lately. I enjoyed seeing a show where the main characters weren't in their 20s! Seeing a bunch of ladies being good friends and helping each other over rough patches was a nice change of pace from other shows. 

Honored Contributor

It's because this show has historically been so adept at shifting gears it seemed they'd be able to do so again when Christi left but it appears they weren't able to. I was surprised because, as noted they segued from a focus on Violet to a focus on Roscoe and Baxter, pulled in Chef Rudy, Claudia and Gabriel and, of course, Alvin, among others. The constants were always the women in AA and to me, they were the core of the show, each funny in her own right... Somehow, the writers just couldn't make it work... Also, unlike earlier years, recent guest cast and recurring cast really added very little to the show.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...