Esteemed Contributor

Re: Millionaire Lottery Dream Home

I love David Bromstad, tatts and all. I've met him in person when he appeared in Seattle at an environmental paint and home store. He is adorable and charming and open to all people. I actually love his tatts, and I have one small tatt myself that I got to commemorate a momentous birthday. Though I like how David relates to all the winners and how he helps them visualize other things that can be done to their prespective homes, I feel that his talents are being wasted. He is an amazing artist and designer. Unfortunately, the only design shows we see now are these home remodel/flip shows. HGTV used to have so much variety in their shows, and now it's pretty much the same thing and the same people in reruns. I realy miss David's Color Splash, and all the other shows no longer on HGTV: Sensible Chic, Diviine Design, Design on a Dime, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I don't quite get tattoos.  My next door neighbor is a world renowned tattoo artist and I've seen quite a bit of his work.  What he does is magnificent, but personally, I'd put it on canvas rather than on people's bodies.  When tattoos became popular (again), most people were going with one or two here or there.  Now people are covered from their necks to their toes and some even on their faces.  That gives me the creeps.  I often wonder what these people will look like when they get old.  One young person told me he doesn't worry about it because he's sure there will be an invention by that time to safely remove tattoos.  Yikes.

David from MLDH is the kind of guy you either like or not.  I can take him in small doses, but I do think he has excellent taste and can decorate a home beautifully.  I enjoy seeing how some of the winners choose to spend their money.  Most are pretty conservative and don't purchase anything that's too over the top.

that is what I like they are not spending all their winnings on a house its refreshing 

First of all, I wonder how much they really get after taxes if they only win a million. Secondly, I wonder how some will pay the property tax on some of these homes. All I know is in Seattle winning a million after taxes would get you very little. I am always amazed at what you can get in other parts of the country for so much less.

Esteemed Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

I am not going to attack the op.  She's allowed to have her opinions.  But I do find that when I watch any show, including MLDH, when a host becomes more of a focal point than what they are presenting, it does cause distraction to me.  I can't remember any of the houses but I can still see all the tattoos.  It's the same for me on the Food Channel.  Guy Fieri, Johnny Weir, some guy named Jason, Sonny Anderson and a whole bunch of contestants are so flamboyant,  the shows are more about them than what they are showcasing. And if people are naive to believe that even in this day and age we aren't judged by our appearance,  you're wrong.  Outwardly they may say looks don't matter, but for political correctness, they keep their true feelings inside.

People are free to judge others for whatever reason, but it's kind of difficult to determine what appearance is being judged and who decides what is acceptable and what isn't. Times change. 

Valued Contributor

I just started watching this show last week.

I find David too flamboyant for my liking, and I find all the tats distracting. I can't concentrate on what is being presented because of all that ink. However, all that has not changed my mind about watching. I like to see all the different homes and locations.

Esteemed Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

anybody know what his commision fee is??

Interesting point.  I wonder if he gets commission or just his salary for the show.  He's not finding the properties; he's just showing them.  The realtors in the various areas are doing all the legwork, prepping the info, and then he's basically the host.  Or so it seems.  Not that he's not offering up ideas and talking about the areas, but I doubt he's in doing all the closing paperwork, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

I am not going to attack the op.  She's allowed to have her opinions.  But I do find that when I watch any show, including MLDH, when a host becomes more of a focal point than what they are presenting, it does cause distraction to me.  I can't remember any of the houses but I can still see all the tattoos.  It's the same for me on the Food Channel.  Guy Fieri, Johnny Weir, some guy named Jason, Sonny Anderson and a whole bunch of contestants are so flamboyant,  the shows are more about them than what they are showcasing. And if people are naive to believe that even in this day and age we aren't judged by our appearance,  you're wrong.  Outwardly they may say looks don't matter, but for political correctness, they keep their true feelings inside.

So, you don't like "flamboyance"?

I love flamboyance.

Flamboyance is but one of the many colors of the flag of humanity.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@bootsanne wrote:

People are free to judge others for whatever reason, but it's kind of difficult to determine what appearance is being judged and who decides what is acceptable and what isn't. Times change. 

@RainCityWoman 

*pssst* 

"appearance" is code for anti-gay.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Love David and the show!!  If you hate him so much quit watching.  

Regular Contributor

No, "appearance" is not the code for anti-gay. I know people who are flamboyant and straight.  I don't care about what goes on in people's bedrooms but I do think his personality is really high voltage.  This may put some people off, but based on personality and not anything else.  What puts me off is people always snarking about what is supposedly the true meaning of what people say and feeling so superior about it while advocating for no judgement.  SMH

Respected Contributor

Im hoping Joanna Gaines gets to take over the show once she starts her new Magnolia Network. For those of you who dont know, Joanna and Chip are starting a new network next year and some of the HGTV shows are moving over.